Has MINI lost its Way?

Discussion in 'MINI' started by Nathan, Jul 18, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Thats the title of an opinion piece over on Jalapnik based on the May 2012 Noise, Vibration & Harshness column in Automobile Magazine column by Jamie Kitman entitled God Save The Mini. Those of us that have been around this for a while have seen this question asked time and time again. 1st generation MINI owners wondered, some quite vocally, and some still do, Dave.0, if MINI lost all it's mojo when the 2nd generation MINI arrived. More hand wringing was wrought when the Clubman was introduced. We see now, with the benifit of hindsight that the Clubman, while it has a large following never really sold in hard top type volumes. But maybe that was MINIs design from the outset with the Clubman. A slightly longer MINI for those that like MINIness but need a little more room.

We get to the Countryman and there were, and still are, howls from the rooftops of how un-MINI this large MINI is. To me, while it is ion the MINI brand there is something missing there. The design didn't translate well in a larger scale. However, the Countryman is a sales success. One only has to look back at the sales numbers MINI provides every month that are published here on Motoring Alliance. A quick glance shows the Countryman gaining more and more traction on a monthly basis.

The latest two variants to join MINI family, the Coupe and Roadster, are even more niche players. MINI always has been a niche, Toyota sold more Camry's in the US, 32,107, in June than MINI has sold in the states across all flavors for the first six months of the year, 32,059.

Being a niche player in a very fractured Auto Sales market I think is MINIs strength. They can experiment with different layouts, such as the Roadtser and Coupe. They don't have to sell a lot of them to make an impact. In my eye it is this ability for MINI to go out on a limb and try something is what keeps me coming back for more.

I don't think MINI has lost it's way, I think they are feeling their oats, seeing what floats and to keep the cliches coming: running ideas up the flag pole to see which way the wind is blowing. I applaud MINI for taking risks and hope they keep looking for new things in a unique way.

2. Little Wing

Little Wing New Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Tallahassee, FL
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    I don't have to like every model that MINI produces, as long as MINI has a model (or 2) that's just right for me.
    I want MINI to be successful and financially healthy.
    That's achieved through growth.

3. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Hear, hear. I agree.

Jim

4. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Still doesn't address the "dilution" of the core Hardtop from what the first gen brought to the masses. Fine, bring out the ugly MINI-suv, but maintain that which allowed MINI to expand......don't throw out what worked in the first place. "Quirky" looks just don't cut it for me.

5. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    I agree with the experimenting that MINI seems to be doing with all of the available models....

I'm not however comfortable with what seems to be the direction they are moving with their design in the F56..... I hope I'm wrong, but on the surface they seem to be consolidating the interior away from the MINIness so to speak and more to a generic dash out of the BMW design handbook....... Grrrrrrrr

6. carboman

carboman New Member

Mar 13, 2012
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    When I first heard of the Countryman I figured Mini was heading down the wrong path but the sales speak for themselves. And, if you love Mini but have kids, a dog, go anywhere for more than a few nights, etc the Countryman has the space you need. I purposely picked a Countryman to take for a spin at the Mini Cross on July 4th and I was impressed with the way it handled.

People thought Porsche was nuts when it launched the Cayenne and then the Panamera. Those two make Porsche a ton of cash that allows them to produce low volume specialty models.

If Mini is going to grow it must expand it's model lineup to include more people's needs, wants and desires. I do agree however that they need to keep the basic hardtop concept in place for the Mini faithful.

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    1st Gen, 1st Gen, 1st Gen ! :aureola::D

8. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I know you all love the first gen cars, but Dave, it is gone. It won't be long before used models are not around. Leaving the brand will be the only choice.

Jim

9. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I know I will have to leave the brand one day. In the future I think I am going retire the Mini as DD and get a beater Honda or Toyota and keep my R53 in the garage.

The R53 will be off the road one day and then I will have the down time to have Rotex fitted with a Vipec and a respray.

It will become my Dragon toy. :Thumbsup:

10. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    There will always be used models around just as there are classic mini's, triumphs, mg's etc. :)

11. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Have no fear there are many garage queen MINI's. When I wear mine out I plan on buying one of those.

12. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    I really liked my R53 and in fact I'm currently looking for an 06 GP but I also liked my 09 JCW. We needed a replacement for my wife's SUV so we bought one of the first Countryman S's and that too has been a great MINI. My current JCW Coupe is the most enjoyable MINI that I've owned. The point I'm trying to get across is that I've enjoyed 4 different variants of MINI. For me, each has had it's own personality but more importantly they have all kept me involved with the MINI Community....and that's the best part of the experience.

13. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Oh the horror..... Me ears are a burning....:D

14. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    I agree with this and the next post to no end. The used 1st gens arent going anywhere, but they will become more and more rare.

I am building mine up now to enjoy for years worth of weekends, no more driving it to the store, no taking it to work, it's just going to be a weekend and special event play toy.

The next car I buy is going to be another JEEP! I just cant see another MINI in my future, The JEEP fits my entire lifestyle not just one part.

15. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Poco is going to last forever with the miles I only put on him now:D

16. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    The only thing I have against the 2nd gen cars is the engine. It's an abomination, like the CVT, but on a massive scale.

Otherwise MINIs rock.

I want a countryman bad as a DD... but won't buy one with the current engine. It's heart-ache waiting to happen for anyone who keeps cars as long as I do, drives them as hard, and is prone to modding.

17. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Yep, we could own a Countryman in a second if not for the French lump under the bonnet.... Probably be fine if we traded every couple years and never had one out of warranty, but we like to keep cars a good while and enjoy no payments......

18. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    I'm currently looking for my next car and I'm honestly depressed that there isn't anything at all in the MINI line-up that interests me in the slightest. I've had several R56 loaners and, when compared to my R53, they just felt soul-less and uncomfortable.

I had very high hopes for the Paceman, but the recent spy shots brought those hopes way, way down.

Sorry, MINI. I love you and I love my R53, but I probably won't be back to the new car showroom anytime soon.

19. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    Well you all know how I feel.....

Um, yeah, I traded my '09 in on an '06 :ihih:

When the day comes when I need another car I'm not buying another MINI. I just do not like the new ones. They didn't/don't do it for me.

20. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Well, the 3rd Generation is right around the corner. :Thumbsup:

Actually, I'm not unhappy with the line, but with that said, I don't track, or mod the engine heavily, so that might very well be the difference.

Question: What happens to M/A if Nathan decided to leave MINI too?????? :eek6:

Jim