Heading down to Raleigh.....

Discussion in 'Tar Heel MINI Motoring Club' started by Mr. Jim, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    So we're heading down tomorrow morning leaving about 6am and will be stayin until Monday the 11th. Not sure yet if we'll make the Bullfrog Run, but be on the lookout for the Jersey tags running around.

2. jcauseyfd

jcauseyfd New Member

May 25, 2009
    Graham, NC
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Have a safe trip! Hope you are able to squeeze in the time for the Bullfrog Run! Weather looks great!

3. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Thanks!
    I know, we've been watching it all week.

4. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    So we're staying in Garner and spent the day driving a round Clayton looking at houses. With all the land why to they build homes so close to each other? The MINI is running great got 25+ mpg on the way down.

5. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Minimum lot sizes are tiny around here, so developers max out the sites and cram the houses in. Up north they require larger lots, which encourages larger homes. Both methods increase the tax base and generate revenue for schools, but the median income down here is lower, so they go with smaller lots. It also lets the cities take large swaths of open space. Roads down here are wider, too. No cow paths bounded by stone walls like they have up north. But there's a lot of community facilities down here. Community centers, neighborhood pools, dog parks, playgrounds, etc. are very common.

6. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    The more houses a developer can fit per square foot of land the less the build cost and the more the profit... There also has been a trend of folks even in the high end market not wanting a lot of land to maintain, preferring smaller well landscaped lots.

7. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    This I know from living in Jersey, what doesn't make sense is moving 500 miles away to live in the same conditions. Sure the cost is less, but the view is the same. Guess we're still too close to the major city.

8. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Point the nose of your car south and go about 60 miles. You, may like Southern Pins and the surrounding area better. I will warn you in advance, that the wife and I are going to pack up the horses, dogs and cats and head there at some point. :D

Southern Pines still has a functioning train station in the middle of town.

Jim

9. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Jim...
    Southern Pines isn't that far from Fort Bragg. I used to live there when my dad was in the service many many years ago. And I do remember there were a lot of pine trees in the area. :D

10. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Good memory MM. The back part of Bragg borders, not to far from, one side of town, but it is not used. You don't even know it is there and it will never become a housing development. You actually drive about 45 minutes to get all the way around to the main gate. Lovely place, nothing but golf courses and horse farms. There are some developments, but minimum lot size is 5 acres and most are 10 acres.

Jim

11. jcauseyfd

jcauseyfd New Member

May 25, 2009
    Graham, NC
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Hehe - somewhat outside of the major metro areas, our neighborhood has minimum 1 acre lots. My son likes the money he makes mowing it.

12. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    So today we started to see more of what we're looking for, drove west into Chatham county, then onto Ashboro and Climax NC. Lots of rain this evening and met some friends from Siler City at the Carolina Brewery and Grille in Pitsford.

13. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Returned home safe and sound on Monday night gave the MINI a good workout for the first road-trip on the year! 1,300 miles added to the clock, avg MPG = 25.5, avg cost of fuel = 3.90/gal.

Sunday we went to Winston-Salem, Climax, Mocksville and Lexington, with Lexington being the area we liked most so far. We're going down again in June for the BRP run so we'll get to see more then.

Took some pictures but haven't located the camera yet in all the stuff :crazy: