1st Gen R53 Cooper S Heater core issue on my R53

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Tummi_Gummi, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys this isnt good. Last week or so been noticing some sweet scent inside the car when using the heater. And just today as I was pulling out wendys I flipped the heater fan on a bit higher and it blew smoke out. I am thinking my heater core is leaking. Any ideas? Where is the heater core at? Whats the best way to get to it and could this be the only issue or is there another solution? The car has 250k miles on it and i dont think the heater core has ever been services

also been noticing some odd sounds from the fan when using it anything past the 1st setting. even a bit of a whine. And there has been a lot of frosting going on inside the car on the windshield, its been looking like condisation but always right in the exact same spot it starts doing it almost immediately after starting the car.,

2. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    I just bought some bars coolant system leak stopper. Gonna try this before taking it in to a shop.

3. Gizmo

Gizmo New Member

May 22, 2012
    Graphic Design Student/Airport Office Assistant
    Flemington, NJ
    Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    Are you saying it blew out smoke into the cabin?

4. Gizmo

Gizmo New Member

May 22, 2012
    Flemington, NJ
    Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    Are there any signs of leaking in the passenger footwell? The heater core is in the dash.

5. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    yes it did this a few times when i first turn the fan on. Then after i stopped the car and turned it back on and drove it down the street with the fans on it wouldn't but the passenger side window was fogging up really fast. And the leaking? I haven't noticed any leaking but its been snowing and really wet out so its a hard time to check for a leak ya know? There is definitely a smell of coolant though from somewhere.

6. Gizmo

Gizmo New Member

May 22, 2012
    Flemington, NJ
    Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    I'm working on a paper right now so I have to return to this to fully answer. But safety wise, antifreeze fumes can cause eye irritation and upper-respiratory irritation so I would suggest not using your heater until this issue is fixed. You are saying condensation. Are you sure it is smoke coming out and not condensation? The condensation source could be the coolant.

Do you have a Bentley Manual? I would suggest inspecting the heater core and tubing.

7. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Check the line seals attached to the heater core before assuming the core is bad.....

8. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    On it! And yeah its steam from the coolant. Its not smoke. its definitely 100% steam/condensation.The moment i turn on my fans after the cars warmed up it blows out for a few seconds then stops but the window on the right side continues to fog up worse and worse now and i smell coolant the whole time so its just building up. This leak started a weak or two ago and gradually getting worse. I have ordered seals. I am not even gonna put bars leak in my system because i dont want to mess it up. I will look and see if i need a core. For 120$ i might just do it anyways with all problems everyone is having. I got 250k miles and i have red tons of people with issues under 50k