1st Gen R53 Cooper S Help, 2002 Mini Cooper S died on day 3.

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by johncoops, Feb 1, 2015.

1. johncoops

johncoops Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Broadcast
    Atlanta, GA
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    So just bought a 2002 Mini Cooper S with 122k miles on it. On day 3 of ownership, it died on me. I had just drove from downtown Atlanta to my house 30 minutes away and it drove perfectly fine. When I got home I sat in car with engine running familiarizing myself with all it's features for about 20 minutes. I was trying to figure out aftermarket radio when it suddenly died. Then tried to start it again and it wouldn't turn over. It was late so went it for the night. The next day the battery seemed dead so tried to jump it from a Saturn and it wouldn't crank up. I even pulled the battery out of the Saturn and put it in the Cooper S and still nothing. I hear clicking sounds but doesn't crank. Since I'm a brand new owner I not sure what to look for. I read a few posts and have tried to clean all ground wires in hatch and the grounds to the engine mount - that didn't help either. It has a Screamin Demon coil pak in it. When I checked the wires - they were pretty corroded. Cleaned them up real good, but that didn't help either. Being a brand new owner I'm at a loss of what else to check. Mini battery is dead. Since it was running when it died, is this a good indication it is the alternator?? I'm at a loss - Please help!

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, thanks for joining Motoring Alliance, the FUN and Friendly MINI Community.

First, get a good battery to work with.

Check the fuse block under the hood. There are some in there that sometimes will rattle loose. Be sure all are firmly in place.

That is where I would start.

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Make sure that the positive wire under the hood is tight. It's the one you use to jump cars off under the + sign. GET RID OF THAT COIL PAK!!!!! Go with a stock one and stock plug wires. After market coil pak have been known to fry the ECU. this may not be the problem right now but you are playing with fire.
    As you have already read MINIS are pickle about power. Have the battery checked. Check all the fuses even the ones under the hood.
    Did it over heat when you were sitting there for 20 min?

4. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    The sudden stoppage with no cranking makes me wonder....
    Any red lights? Smells? Sounds? Going back to WHEN it died?
    Check the doorjamb...get the cars production date for us...

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    All good ideas above. Soory for your new ownership problems but it will get better.

Welcome to M\A the FUN MINI site.
    We may not be much help today because kick off is in 10 minutes but we are all here to help you.

6. johncoops

johncoops Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Broadcast
    Atlanta, GA
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Re: Got her running!

Alright, so to update - I looked at all the fuses under the engine bay. Everything looked fine there. With Nathan's suggestion - made sure they were all seated snugly. Then tried to jump again - but this time with a Ford F150. Either of those two things did the trick - she cranked right up on first try. Awesome! Drove around the neighborhood for 30 miles to charge the battery a bit and leaving it running for a while. I'm very glad I got it running! Thank you for all your suggestions. The Coop does need some work - but I LOVE the way she drives! Much better than the Saturn. Lol I spent $2,800 buying her and prolly got about $2,000 to put her in tip top shape again. I think it will be worth it.

7. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Glad you got it running again. Oh is it stick or automatic?

I have a stick and sometimes I jump in and turn the key and it does nothing becuae I did not push the clutch all the way to the floor.

8. johncoops

johncoops Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Broadcast
    Atlanta, GA
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    "I have a stick and sometimes I jump in and turn the key and it does nothing because I did not push the clutch all the way to the floor."

I read about that issue on the forums and made sure the floor mat was completely out of the way. I mashed the hell out of the clutch making sure that wasn't an issue. Lol I also read about the immobilizer - didn't completely understand that issue - Hope I never have to deal with that!

So thinking my battery is pretty old - it's a Mini battery. Can't find a date anywhere on it. The indicator window says "insufficiently charged". Can the car charge it to "Sufficiently Charged" or will I need to put it on a special charger? Or should I just replace?

Attached Files:

9. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Just replace it.

10. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Come on, Dave...when have you EVER seen a 2002 MCS AUTOMATIC? You're slipping....:devil:

11. johncoops

johncoops Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Broadcast
    Atlanta, GA
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    #11 johncoops, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
    Even my Saturn was a stick! Lol Was recently pulled over by a cop. He came to the window and said "I didn't didn't even know a Saturn could perform like that." Why in the world would anyone ever buy a Mini with an automatic tranny?? What's the fun in that?

12. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Paddle shifters!:Thumbsup:

13. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    There is a lot of fun in having an MCS with a REAL automatic. I have driven a lot of stick shifts, but there comes a time when buying an automatic is MUCH more preferable to having a hip replacement...and cheaper, too. My '06 MCSa has done yeoman work since I bought it new in 2006. It now has almost 203,000 hard miles. It has done numerous MOTDs and twisties, is a daily driver, and has seen 30 or so 2-day hpdes with BMW CCA. given this time in my life, I won't be heading back to a 6-speed stick, though....having wayyyyyyy too much fun without it and my left side says, TYVVM! :ihih:

14. Kenny kustom

Kenny kustom New Member

Jan 24, 2015
    Ratings:
    +178 / 0 / -0
    Could be alternator.
    Seller charged up the battery. By the time they got home, dead.
    Replace battery. Then check voltage with it running.

15. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Next time you shut it off...
    Listen to your car...see if you hear a buzz...or humm..
    If you do...the PS pump (electric) may have failed, and is staying running, draining the battery....
    A failed alternator SHOULD have given you a RED light...LONG before the car died....
    That is the part that is confusing me...
    You say you were sitting in the car...running, and it died...then failed to start.
    If it just was sitting, no motor running, and the radio shutoff, no big deal, battery...but the car stopping...hmmm...

16. Rawhyde

Rawhyde Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Facilities Engineer
    Mountains of NW Georgia
    Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    Also, put a witness mark radially on the harmonic balancer. Drive it a for a little while and see if the outer ring slips relative to the hub. Hasn't happened to me yet, but it's common. If it's slipping, your alternator, air conditioner, and supercharger/water pump won't be getting full power.

17. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Like Dave said if the battery is old replace it.

18. johncoops

johncoops Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Broadcast
    Atlanta, GA
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Ok, I'll give you a pass on the stick vs. auto tranny. I see your point. I'm sure one day I will be in your shoes.

You guys have been really helpful on my issue. I appreciate that! Yeah, I still don't want to rule out the alternator as the source of the issue either. A little concerned with that - and might leave me stranded somewhere. So this morning I went out after it sat all night in the cold and it started right up on its own. So it doesn't seem to be draining. The night I sat for 20 minutes with engine running, I did have pretty much everything on - driver seat warmer, headlights, radio, etc. I can't remember if there were any warning lights on before it went out. Was too busy fiddling with the overly complicated aftermarket radio. Might have to try to duplicate that scenario again. If it wasn't such a pain in the a** to get to the alternator, I would pull to have tested for assurance. For now, I will just have to buy a new battery and roll the dice. I don't know the history of the car so going to have to spend $$$ to get everything on a maintenance schedule. $2,800 was just too good to pass up for an R53 Cooper S. I was in desperate for a working car to commute to work and the price was right. It may turn into a project car - who knows. Rather it be a Mini than a Saturn. Lol I've experienced the wacky symptoms of a failing alternator before and I didn't get any clue before it died - that's what stumps me. Just glad I was home when it happened. I will try marking the harmonic balancer and report my findings. Good suggestion!

19. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Oh sure they all say "i don't know I may mod it" then it happens they do one mod. And Boom its like crack! Hay we are here to help spend your money and pick out Mods for you.:D

20. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    If you're anywhere near Atlanta, you should bring the car to Way Motor Works for a check up and maintenance. He seems to think he knows something about MINIs.:biggrin5: