1st Gen R53 Cooper S Help a newbie! Over heating issue on a 2004 S

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Twofast4u, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Twofast4u

Twofast4u New Member

Jun 4, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey forums,

I'm a newbie to minis, bought mine just over a month ago. has some mids, like exhaust, intake, chip, and pulley. My car started to over heat today, so I quickly shut the car off and when I opened the hood, I noticed that the expansion tank for the coolant had stated to slightly leak from the middle, as though it was bubbling. Later when I opened up the cap, there was no coolant to be found. then I filled it up with some coolant that I got from o reilly
    Which they said is used for the mini. its 50/50

My question now is what can I do to fix it? Do I only need to get the expansion tank replaced or is there another reason why it built up the pressure in the first place? Please help!

2. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    #2 k-huevo, Jun 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
    If "leak from the middle" means coolant was escaping from the seam on the expansion tank, then the tank should be replaced.

The MINI coolant system is under pressure to reduce the boiling point, so pressure is normal.

If the seam is not leaking, look for signs of fluid escaping around the coolant thermostat housing, if so, replace the housing and thermostat.

Overheating can be caused by a variety of conditions, insufficient coolant, water pump drive failure, air pockets, head gasket breach, etc. Leaks are first on the list of troubleshooting targets.

3. putterfarm

putterfarm New Member

May 18, 2009
    Bum.
    Pittsfield, Pa.
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Some questions: where did you but your MINI from, did they do any work on it, do they know anything about MINIs ?
    If they flushed the rad. fluid did they "bleed" the system properly and change the thermostat ? If this was not done correctly you will have air pockets in the system causing over-heating.

Good luck:confused5:

Mark

4. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    There was actually a recall on the early coolant tanks as they tended to split at the seam.

Get it replaced if needed and then do a full flush and replace with MINI/BMW coolant.

5. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    And only get it done by someone who knows how to specifically on MINIs. Having the system flushed and recharged is never a bad thing.

Mark

6. Twofast4u

Twofast4u New Member

Jun 4, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thanks for the help guys,

yes it is leaking from the seams. I am not sure when the last time the car had a coolant flush.

so from what I understand, I should....

first replace the expansion tank, and do a coolant flush?

if the problems reoccurs, then check the thermostat and housing?

Or - while I'm at it, I should change the thermostat? is there a way of telling whether the thermostat needs to be changed?

Lastly, are minis hard to work on? Should I take this to a shop that specializes in Mini's or is it an easy job that anyone can do?

7. Twofast4u

Twofast4u New Member

Jun 4, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thanks for the help guys,

yes it is leaking from the seams. I am not sure when the last time the car had a coolant flush.

so from what I understand, I should....

first replace the expansion tank, and do a coolant flush?

if the problems reoccurs, then check the thermostat and housing?

Or - while I'm at it, I should change the thermostat? is there a way of telling whether the thermostat needs to be changed?

Lastly, are minis hard to work on? Should I take this to a shop that specializes in Mini's or is it an easy job that anyone can do?

8. Twofast4u

Twofast4u New Member

Jun 4, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  9. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Replace the tank and flush the system.

The thermostat is not that easy to change, but models of that era had problems with the thermostat housing cracking, so you would want to look for leaks. Also the gasket has been redesigned as it to had a few issue but you can't buy it alone, it only comes with a thermostat.

None of it is that hard to do for a good tech. You don't mention where you are located so it's hard to point you to a good shop.

10. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    The leaking coolant tank is probably why you lost fluid and over heated. Best case you just need to replace the coolant tank and add coolant. A flush would be good but not required. However, depending on how bad you overheated many other things could be damaged. The 2004 were not known for leaking thermostat housings/gaskets. The 2004 were known for leaking coolant expansion tanks.

The expansion tank is easy to replace. The thermostat housing/gasket a little more difficult because of the various items that need to be removed to get to the thermostat.

If you find a good Mini shop, you might want to ask them to give you three different estimates:
    1. Replacing the coolant tank and adding fluid.
    2. Replacing the coolant tank, flushing the system, and adding coolant.
    3. Replacing the coolant tank, theromstat housing/gasket, flush, and coolant.

I would try to find a shop that frequently works on Minis.