Help! Betty is Sick

Discussion in 'MINI' started by Xiek, Mar 14, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Xiek

Xiek Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Service Advisor
    Midland
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    The other night went to my car, to find the running lights on, and blower on still... the car would crank, but not fire... was in a rush, so left it...

This morning the battery was obviously dead, got a booster pack, and it fired right up... let it idle, took it around the block to help charge the battery... well now when I remove the key, it stays running...

I can put in 1st and drive forward but in reverse it dies out, but still has the running lights on, and some dash lights, no power to the cig lighter, or radio though.

ya thinking something to do with the ignition wiring? not sensing the key has been totally removed from vehicle?

This was all of a sudden... well on friday night, my abs/trac light was flashing on/off on way home, on sat morn to work, the air bag light was on, and abs/trac light back on.. when I clicked the toggle to disable the trac/abs, it would go off, but air bag would stay on.

This morning the seatbelt light flashed like a strobe, all the way to work today... when it was in reverse, the power to the blower cut out, as it would surge, the interior dome light never went out, and the airbag light was on, but at 1/2 to 1/4 power of illumination. not full brightness..

Ignition switch? Is it serviceable without having to reprogram the car

2. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like either a battery or a bad ground, probably the latter. Check the + terminal on the side of the air box for corrosion, and check any brown wires you see in the engine bay for corrosion or cuts. Also check for water in the battery compartment.

3. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Yep, bad batteries will cause all kinds of weird stuff on our cars.

4. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    teacher for severely/multiply disabled students
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I was going to suggest an exorcist, but I think Scott's tip is more useful. Please keep us informed, and good luck!