1st Gen R53 Cooper S HELP crank pulley might have died.

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by jeffster06, Jul 2, 2011.

Tags:
  1. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    So I was driving car hits limp mode. check my scan gauge and I have a P1688 code. I did a google search on my phone said could possible be the bypass valve but after checking that it was moving fine with resistance. long story short I limped home and my belt snapped. the car overheated a little bit once that happened I pushed it the rest of the way. (wasn't too far) After getting the belt off all the pulleys seem fine move freely the SC pulley is slightly stiffer although it never turned easily from the get go.

I was looking at my crank pulley and my friend watched it as I turned over the car he says its turning. He then tried holding a belt on it to see if it would give tension while trying to turn over the car (just bliping it) we discovered it didn't try to turn the belt at all. I then noticed I can turn the area where the belt sits by hand with no resistance. Has my pulley separated?

little info on my car. its an 06 with 90k miles with a 15% reduction pulley.

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Looks like a classic case of a dead crank pulley. Recently had the same issue myself and replaced the OEM with an ATI. There are others out there that will work as well however I'd steer clear of ones that do not offer any damping. While there is only a shred of anecdotal evidence a solid pulley can cause issues my gut tells me that MINI used a damped pulley for a reason.

3. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    That is most likely my guess. Im trying to understand why the belt shredded itself that I don't quite understand. I also hope I didnt hurt anything when I overheated my scan gauge hit 246 when I finally realized it. gonna be checking my oil for water now.

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The crank pulley alignment went wonky when it failed cutting into the belt. That's why it shredded.

5. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    possibly when I was looking at it when it first started smoking I could see the belt sitting still on the SC pulley only turning occasionally. guess the crank pulley was still trying to work?

6. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, exactly how mine failed. Exactly.

The pulley kinda sorta still turns for a while... it's rubber filled, and it makes enough friction with the melted/burned rubber filling to turn for a while. Then it starts to tilt a bit and misalign and starts eating belts (plus overheating the belt because it's slipping). But once it starts breaking belts, when there's no belt on it, you can probably spin the outer part of the pulley on the crank with your hand. That's a sure sign.

7. AliceCooper

AliceCooper Club Coordinator

Mar 13, 2010
    CT Technologist
    South Florida
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Yep, There is no doubt in my mind that your crank pulley bought the farm, ATI is best bet for replacement. Summit Racing has the best price I have seen on them.

8. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I really believe there are only two conditions for the OEM crank pulley on modified and hard-driven 1st gen MCSs: those that have already failed, and those that are going to.

Anyone out there.... if you haven't replaced yours, and you have a hard driven, modified MINI (no one on this site would fit that criteria I'm sure).... then plan to replace it as a preventative measure. The ATI or the fluid damper that some others offer are both good options. Happy with my ATI from Way.

Why do it before it fails? Because paying to flatbed your MINI a couple hundred miles SUCKS. Ask me how I know.

9. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Blimey, how do you know? Inquiring minds want to know:lol:

Mark

10. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I little flying monkey told me.

11. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Oh, that story:lol:

Mark

12. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    At MOTD this year I kept eyeing the ATI Crank Pulley and thinking I should pull the trigger cause I figured I was on borrowed time with mine. Instead I fixed a rear brake issue, or well...Chad did.

Little did I know just how right I was about the borrowed time, not a month later there it went and getting it fixed proved to be stupid expensive cause no one would listen to me at first when I said that was the issue. They tossed parts at the issue and I paid a grand more than I should have. Plus it took a week to effect the repairs.

13. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Well I talked to way my car will be getting flat bedded to him sometime this coming week. Lucky me he is only 40 miles away from my house, still probably gonna pay for that one but I have 100 bucks for towing through my insurance so that will help it hurt not so much.

I'm debating on getting the 2% overdrive pulley that he sells. not sure what kind of gains I will get from it though.

I'm just happy I was only like 5 miles from my house when it died and most of it was downhill so I coasted it for a bit tried to drive it some but it overheated so I had to shut it down and push for some of it too.

oh and as for the crank pulley I played with it again this morning I can grab the ribbed portion and wobble it back and forth with ease and it also turns by hand pretty sure it is no longer attached.

14. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Yep did a preventive replacement of mine with the fluid damper that RMW sells.

Peace of mind is a good thing! ;)

15. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    :postcount

:popcorn: :beer

16. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    We'll get it fixed this week, I still have the tools laying out from the one I did on Friday.:biggrin5:

17. yellowbritishrocket

yellowbritishrocket Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +277 / 0 / -0
    mine lasted for 156k miles before i decided to replace it... kinda had a feeling it was bound to fail so i decided to preempt it so while Ian @ Maitland had my engine out to replace the clutch i had one of the RMW pulleys installed... great stuff...it might not be lightened or be 2% overdrive but a pulley that drives the crank is not something i really want to lighten

18. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Awesome way can't wait to drive my MINI again :Thumbsup: i'm starting to feel like something in the universe wants me to own a Hyundai cause every time my breaks thats what I end up in for a rental car lol.

On another note when the flatbed showed up today I tried to start my car to limp into the road for him and my battery was dead. scan gauge was reading 10volts hoping it will come back to life with a charge.

19. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Got my car back today it runs like a champ. Thanks again Way for your help and a fast repair. :Thumbsup:

20. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    Did you go with the stock or 2% size pulley?
    I am thinking of going with the 2% because I have JCW SC pulley (12%).