Help for the Apartment Dweller

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by VioletDC, Mar 28, 2010.

1. VioletDC

VioletDC Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Copyeditor
    Leesburg, VA
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hey all,

Scoopie & I live in an apt. complex (which means she's exposed 2 the elements 24/7) w/no car-washing center (or exterior hoses 4 tenants' use). :frown2: I usually go 2 the DIY centers, but there's a limit 2 the time u spend inside & they don't allow bucket-washing. For some1 like me w/o a PC (or an exterior outlet), how can Scoopie get all the benefits of which u speak?!? :sad: I have some Prima products (BG, Clarity, Glide, Nero and a claybar) and BW.

2. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    There are portable, battery powered pressure washers out there. Nomad, is one brand. Go here ShowCarSupplies.com Shopping Cart - Nomad 18V Portable Pressure Washer

Coin-op wand washes are OK. Just don't use the foamy brushes. I used to take my wash mitt when I had to use one all the time. Soak with soap and wipe at the same time. Just watch for bystanders:lol:. Most give you drying time, so spray on the Hydro and dry.

You don't need power, or water to clay bar. Just the clay and some Quick Detailer (QD).

Banana Gloss (BG) does not need a PC. Just apply and wipe off by hand.

Mark

3. VioletDC

VioletDC Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Copyeditor
    Leesburg, VA
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks 4 the tips, Mark; I'll do just that. Not sure if I can afford the PPW just now, but the in-bay suggestion (I'm guilty of using that accursed foam brush, tho *sigh*) will be used the next time.

4. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
  5. VioletDC

VioletDC Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Copyeditor
    Leesburg, VA
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
  6. bee1000

bee1000 New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Marketing
    San Diego, California
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'm in the same situation. My primary solution is to go to the co-op car wash at 7 a.m. to wash with my bucket. During the relatively cold months (in San Diego) I can do this on a Sunday and not have enough other cars there for anyone to care that I'm breaking the rules. During the warm months I have to do it on a weekday morning before work.

After many trips, I've got a good system down. See my post (#39) on this sewing site thread: MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring - Drought Declaration Detailing/Car Washing Strategies

As far as polishing, chances are you know someone with a garage where you could do it. If not, stick to keep wax on your car and spring for a good professional polish every few years. (Tips to find a "good" detailer: After looking at your paint they'll be able to tell you what products they use and why, will use foam pads rather than wool on a rotary or random-orbit polisher, and will take most of the day to get it done rather than a few hours.)

7. VioletDC

VioletDC Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Copyeditor
    Leesburg, VA
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, Bee! Unfortunately, I don't know any1 w/a garage (or, at least close enough). I do need 2 find a good detailer, though. Thought I found 1, but they ruined my rubber mats w/some sort of chemical that turned them from black 2 an awful marbelized grey that I couldn't get out (hadda buy new 1s), :incazzato:so, it's back 2 the drawing board on that score. It's still relatively cold here, so I'll have 2 wait 'til it warms up a bit b4 trying your 7am method. :)

8. Tom2112

Tom2112 New Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Stig Substitute
    Sharon, PA
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Lotsie is right about those car wash brushes. The problem with the brushes is that they collect dirt from other cars, and they you scratch your finish with that dirt when you use the brush. But I've found a way around that if you're willing to risk it a bit.

You lay the brush on the ground with the bristles facing up. Then grab the pressure sprayer and put it on high, and spray the livin crap outta the brush bristles. Just go to town. Get in between and all around and everywhere you can think of in those bristles. That gets the dirt out of there, and you're safe to use them. Of course, I would never do that on my black show car. But my daily driver doesn't get that level of treatment. It's just too much work.

As for waxing and even clay bar-ing, I see folks doing that in the park all the time. Just pull up under a nice big tree for some shade, and do your thing. You might get lucky and pick up a cute jogger while you're there. LOL

9. fullcollapse40

fullcollapse40 New Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I live in an apartment also. I use Optimum No Rinse, and wash my cars in the parking garage. You don't need any "special" equipment for an ONR wash, just a bucket or 2 with grit guards, wash media of your choice, and drying towels. I can get both cars clean and dry in about 30 -40 minutes. You can read more about it here if you want.
    ONR: The Definitive Thread - Autopia.org

10. fullcollapse40

fullcollapse40 New Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    oh yeah, I almost forgot you can use ONR in different dilution ratios as a quick detailer and a clay lube. With the limited closet space in my apartment it really helps to have chemicals that can fill multiple roles.

11. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Some apartment complexes have dedicated car wash stations. I could tell you every wash station within a half mile, 'cause even though I don't have one, nobody seems to care if you roll up and act like you wash your car there every weekend.

Stormwater rules are pretty strict in MD, but it's considered a desirable amenity for an apt complex to have one, so check the newer places.

12. VioletDC

VioletDC Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Copyeditor
    Leesburg, VA
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Great idea! I'll try that & will definitely be on the lookout 4 that cute jogger! :ihih:

Thanks! I'll check out the thread--the less I have 2 deal w/water issues, the better! :Thumbsup:

I'll check some of 'em out in my area--there may be a couple that have dedicated auto care stations. ;)