1st Gen R50 Cooper HELP!!! HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN??

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by MiniRican, Sep 10, 2010.

Tags:
  1. MiniRican

MiniRican New Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Bestbuy CSM
    Puerto Rico
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So, I have a the best record of braking a car in fast... Today is the 3rd day I own my cooper 05 and I broke her!! So I left some lights on and ran out of battery.. She had power to turn on into "switch" but no power to start...In the desperation of getting her runnin, I decide to push her through the hill to gain some speed to turn her on:mad2:.. So I did that, the 1st time that I took of the clutch she tried to turn on, then I press the clutch pedal again, wait for some speed and took it off... then BOOM! an ugly explosion happened!! I said to myslef... "you broke her... you broke her really bad!" When I did a complete stop, pop the hood and check the motor... I BROKE THE INTAKE MANIFOLD!! The explosion was so bad that even the Oil Engine Stick was blown off.. That is the only visual damage that I see, hopefully the engine valves, heads arent damaged...

So the help I need is:
    -the cooper service manual (cant find it :mad:)
    -any recommendations were to but the intake manifold (autogermana the only dealer/shop for mini in puerto rico ask for $700.00!!! :cryin:) and I have found some better prices on some internet pages..
    -Any tips is more then welcome!!

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    WOW, sorry to hear about that. You might consider contacting some of our vendors for a used manifold. There is a good chance they can help you out. Of course shipping to PR may be an issue. But it seems like it could be less than your $700. 00. Or check with your local salvage yards.
    Best of luck, and let us know how it turns out.

3. MiniRican

MiniRican New Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Bestbuy CSM
    Puerto Rico
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thx!! Any vendor your recommend or can lead me to? I was amazed bout how many supporting vendors we have on this forum... once again thanks!

4. cal330ci

cal330ci New Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Automotive Technician
    Vancouver BC
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow... sorry to hear that... i have never heard of such a backfire that it broke the intake... Was the intake full of fuel after it blew ?? No fire ??

5. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I got my distorted scoop installed this morning and was just now in the yard cleaning up a tree that was downed from last weeks storm.

Anyway back to your problem.
    There are several good vendors on this site. If it was me, I would PM a note to the performance shops listed here and see if they have a good used intake. And while you are at it, get new gaskets from them, as I'm sure you'll need them. Most important, have someone that knows MINI's work on your car.

You might want to contact the following, but not limited to this list as I'm sure I'm missing someone.
    Way Motor Works
    Detroit Tuned
    Grassroots Garage
    Helix
    Werkin Mini

Nathan just had some major work done but I'm not sure who he used. Maybe he will chime in. But I would start with this list.

Good luck:Thumbsup:

6. MiniRican

MiniRican New Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Bestbuy CSM
    Puerto Rico
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This is more than great!!! Thk man :D The only ones that work on coopers here on the island are the autogermana dealer (stealer) which I refuse to take her.. I am looking for the Service Manual and do the job.. My old man is a pretty darn good mechanic see let's see how it goes.. I will update. I am really hoping that I didnt damage any internals (valves) :mad2: once again thx!

7. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Some of these shops sell shop manuals, which is good to have on hand. Your other source might be your local library.

8. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I've seen offers for "official" service manual downloads online but I haven't tried any. They all seem suspicious in one way or another. I use the Bentley Manual. It's expensive but it's thorough. Here's a snip from the Foreword:

I think the fact that they rarely turn up for sale used says a lot about how useful they are.

9. MiniRican

MiniRican New Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Bestbuy CSM
    Puerto Rico
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yea bro, I have used the bentley manuals for my previous cars (e30, e39) but they were really simple to found (pdf. downloads :D) even my recent car 300c... now this one to find is a Royal PITA!!! And since I need to repair the cooper asap (since it is my only car) so buying one of these manuals to have them ship is not an option, unless you can get em digital...

10. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    As far as I know the Bentley for MINI is hard copy only...unfortunately.

11. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
  12. MiniRican

MiniRican New Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Bestbuy CSM
    Puerto Rico
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  13. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    The repair shop link was for his phone & fax numbers. He'll be checking in soon.

14. MiniRican

MiniRican New Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Bestbuy CSM
    Puerto Rico
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thx!!!! Man!!! :smilewinkgrin:

15. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    I highly recommend you purchase this manual today [ame="http://www.amazon.com/MINI-Cooper-Service-Manual-Convertible/dp/0837616395/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1284247577&sr=1-1-spell"]Amazon.com: MINI Cooper Service Manual: 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006: MINI Cooper, MINI Cooper S, Convertible (9780837616391): Bentley Publishers: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51TmCL40MKL.@@AMEPARAM@@51TmCL40MKL[/ame] This is the best price for the hardcover that includes the electronic troubleshooting section. My paperback is in poor condition after repeated use, so I recommend the hardcover.

16. cal330ci

cal330ci New Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Automotive Technician
    Vancouver BC
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Bentley manuals are great... There are NOT exactly what the factory uses but they are just as good and the pictures are fantastic. I use Bentley manuals for every car and I even have one for Mini because its nice to have wiring diagrams on paper and not always on a computer

17. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    I can't seem to find one for the R56. I don't think they are out yet are they? Seems like enough time has transpired for the printing???

18. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I don't think there is a Bentley for second generation MINIs. Like you said there's been plenty of time so I can't imagine why.

I also like my Haynes manual. It's not as comprehensive but useful enough that I often check both manuals before I pick up a tool, and the Haynes was much cheaper. Don't know whether they've published a Haynes for the second gen.