1st Gen R53 Cooper S Help to ID s/c Pulley and K060535 fit problem

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Stinch, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Stinch

Stinch New Member

Jun 24, 2015
    Trumbull, CT
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    #1 Stinch, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    Took this photo last December when my s/c was out for an oil change. At that time, I measured the diameter at the high point of the ridges on the pulley and figured it was a 15% pulley (as the original owner had said it was). Don't have that measurement right now but I'm still looking for it in my notes. There is no manufacturer name stamped on it that I could see but would like to know if anyone recognizes it. Looks like crap with the rust and a Helix would sure look a lot better so I may replace it anyway.

I'm second guessing this pulley because my new Gates K060535 belt would not fit unless forced on. Didn't want to install it if that much effort was needed. Over two holes showing on the new Gates tensioner, new OEM idler installed, and new PRW c/p.

My MINI has a JCW kit; maybe this s/c pulley is actually original to that kit?

[​IMG]

2. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    That's the old MINI Mania 3 piece 15% pulley. That's right, 3 piece: one better than two piece.

[​IMG]

3. Canusrufis

Canusrufis RMW Powered R53
    Lifetime Supporter

Nov 27, 2013
    Male
    Winston Salem NC
    Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    FWIW my Way Motor Works 15% pulley is ~55.56mm in diameter.

Never seen a pulley like that before. The stocker I took off mine was hollow w/ a spindle in the middle.

Others will comment so be patient. and good luck getting that rusty thing off.

4. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Guessing you have a +2% CRANK damper if the 535 belt does not fit right....
    Second thing to look at, when you did the tensioner, did you use the same holes on the block? At one point, a couple folks used a pair of holes very close to the old tensioner holes when doing a blind install...worked fine, but the belt sizing was messed up.
    A pulley dies not have to be pretty to work...
    I'd what you have unless you are a bling under the hood person...then change it when the SC gets overhauled if you wish ..

5. Stinch

Stinch New Member

Jun 24, 2015
    Trumbull, CT
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    The PRW c/p is p/n 2510900 which is the same or close to the stock size at 138mm. Interesting idea about the tensioner location. I didn't think that was possible but will have to look again.

6. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Read the second post from Eric at Helix he gave you the answer.

Old MiniMania 15% 3-piece pulley.

I would get rid of it just to remove the bad MiniMania karma before it bites you in the a$$.

7. Stinch

Stinch New Member

Jun 24, 2015
    Trumbull, CT
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Dave

I agree 100% that the old pulley should be replaced, if anything on principle alone. The three piece design can't be good and I don't like bad karma. Since it is a 15% and a replacement Helix 15% should be roughly the same diameter, I'm not sure the 535 belt will fit any better with my current setup. Still need to figure that out but in the mean time my one year old belt is still good and fits fine even though I have one hole showing on the tensioner.

Wish I still had the s/c on a bench, I'm thinking getting it off in the car will be a PITA.

8. Gromit

Gromit New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    When I replaced the tensioner, I also replaced the idler pulley. When installing the idler pulley in the blind, I used the wrong hole on the block. It took quite a while to determine the error as it was hard to see the hole on the block.

Cheers!

9. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    ^ this. The wrong idler location is easy to use... and will result in a super tight belt, if you can even get it on at all. I did this last week.

10. Stinch

Stinch New Member

Jun 24, 2015
    Trumbull, CT
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the update. I did remove the timing cover and change the idler pulley. I'll look at it again this weekend and report back.