Entertainment Electronics 1st Gen Help with factory nav...

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Rated_R, May 16, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Rated_R

Rated_R New Member

May 14, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have an 04 MCS that has the factory navigation in the center. It doesnt seem to get getting any power. My fuel guage below it works. The hazard switch works. Im not sure what the other switch does. [symbol looks like a speedo]

I know the dvd end is under the pass seat. It has a red power light on and I can eject and insert the disk. But I can find no other buttons to touch. When the disk goes in I can not hear anything spinning, or feel it for that matter. And the screen never powers on. Ever.

So anyone want to take a stab at helping me with this?

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Have you checked the fuse?

3. Rated_R

Rated_R New Member

May 14, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    aye. all fuses are good.

4. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    Try resetting the electronics by disconnecting the car battery for 20 minutes. And speaking of which, how is the condition of your battery? The Nav can stop functioning when the car battery starts to go bad.

5. Rated_R

Rated_R New Member

May 14, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Not sure the condition of the battery. I just bought the car.

Would the radio connection not being plugged up have anything to do with it? Previous owner had the aux cable installed and now I have my aftermarket radio installed....

Ill have to test that theory tomorrow.

If I cannot get it working im not heartbroken over it. I have nav on my android phone that I love. I may end up taking the nav screen out and making a cavity for my phone or something.

What about that other set of guages that can go there... would it be plug and play I wonder.....hmmmmmm

6. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    The radio has no interaction with the Nav (except for a connector to play Nav audio output).

By "that other set of gauges", I suppose you mean what is called the Chrono pack. I think it is plug and play but with some caveats. You'll probably need to have it programmed into the car's computer (at a dealer or shop with the programming tools). Also it has the instrument panel module including the odometer, and normally coded to the car's VIN. A used Chrono pack may or may not work. A new one would be very expensive.

7. Rated_R

Rated_R New Member

May 14, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Pulled the pass seat out and checked the DVD unit. It appears to be functioning properly. Pulled the screen out and I'm not sure it getting power. So its either the wiring or the screen.

8. Rated_R

Rated_R New Member

May 14, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My airbags light has been on ever sense I put the seat back in do I just disco the battery to reset it? I plugged everything back up the right way.

9. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Going to have to visit the dealer most likely to get that reset.

10. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    The airbag warning is triggered if you turn on the power with the ignition key while the seat is disconnected. It sounds like you did that while checking the DVD. The warning will stay on until it is reset with a diagnostic tool, which can be done at the dealer (also many BMW/MINI repair shops can do it).

11. Rated_R

Rated_R New Member

May 14, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well crap. Oh well.