1st Gen R53 Cooper S Help with Spark Plug Issues

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by 00zero, Dec 9, 2010.

Tags:
  1. 00zero

00zero New Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Engineer
    Pittsburgh. Pa
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    i had my mini in getting some body work repaired after i was side swiped.

i picked up the car today after having a Chevy Aveo loaner for 25 days :(

They told me that they had issues with it not wanting to cold start and the plugs being fowled. They replaced them with OEM.

I had the the colder beau silver plugs from Alta for maybe 10k mi, i know i was in need of new plug wires and have them sitting in the garage.

I'm just going to pick up the jcw plugs from WMW but i want to know if there is any other reason for the fowling or it was just the bad plug wires?

Thanks,
    Jonathan

2. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Plugs get fowled from not getting hot enough usually--too cold a plug..(running sea-foam, etc can do it too)....you need to look at them to be sure (a person that knows how to do it can "read" a plug based upon the color), but a a plug run too cool will never burn off contaminants....
    I have seen a few pics of fowled Brisk plugs...so perhaps someone is recommending/selling a version of them that is too cold?

3. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Did you get the old plugs back?

If not I would try and get them to see why they think they needed replacing. Those are not cheap plugs. Wonder if someone thought they would work better in their car instead of yours.......

4. 00zero

00zero New Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Engineer
    Pittsburgh. Pa
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    i didn't try to get them back. the dealer believe it or not gave em the new plugs so i'm not too concerned. having a heat range too cold makes sense.

i guess i will do my plug wires and the jcw plugs and just pull one of the plugs out ocationally to keep an eye on it.

thanks all.