Hickster01

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by Hickster01, Jun 19, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Hickster01

Hickster01 New Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Realtor, trainer
    Westerville, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello All!

Excuse me if I am not as well versed in useing this site a swell as the rest of you. My generation is a bit slower to pick it up.
    I have a 2010 Mini Clubman S, 57k miles. The timeing chain broke while I was on the freeway. They put out the yellow flag and my motior is gonezo,caput, smoked. My local dealer is trying to get Mini to assist in a rebuild/new engine. My question is how does this happen! I have never had a car do this -period- I usually put 200 to 300 k on my cars. I don't miss maintenance, I keep them clean,and obsesively detailed. I have had 3 Jeeps,2 subarus,1 Range Rover( 302k) MG midget,Chevy Vega( oh and yuk) a Simca( anyone know that one?) and a bunch of others. Is there any chance that there is a defect in manufacturing,or the timing chain is not up to the power delivered by the "S", or that it is not being oiled, or installed correctly. Any light that you can shed on this would be appreciated. If they ( Mini ) want me to pay $6k for a new motor,then we will have to have a serious discussion.

Thanks,
    Hickster01
    PS sorry about the spelling.

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Welcome to M/A Hickster.

We are both living in the same town. Small world eh? If you do a search on North American Motoring & here on M/A you will find a lot of info on the subject of timing chains. From what I have read it is not a common problem, but it does happen.

Hopefully MAG will help you out. From my experience their service side is top notch.

Good luck & let us know what the resolution is.

3. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Make sure you are talking to Sam Meyers at MAG.

4. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Welcome aboard. :Thumbsup:

Jim

5. 05r50

05r50 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +697 / 0 / -0
    +1 on Sam Myers.

You will benefit greatly from the relationship between the dealer and MINI USA.

From what I have read in the threads mentioned above is that MINI is more apt to go the extra mile when there is a dealer working hard for the customer and that has a strong record with MINI.

Keep us posted.

6. Little Wing

Little Wing New Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Tallahassee, FL
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    Welcome.
    I am sorry that you are having this problem with your MINI.
    It sounds like you are in good hands with the dealer.
    It seems, from what I've picked up, that if the dealer goes to bat for you chances are that MINI will go along.
    Good luck and let us know how it works out.

7. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to m/a