1st Gen R53 Cooper S Higher mileage recomended service

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by neo, Mar 24, 2013.

1. neo

neo New Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hello all. I have recently purchased a "not treated so well" higher mileage (114k) MCS that was clearly driven hard and not treated with much care. First off, it is a total salvage vehicle from an insurance auction. Secondly, I ahve enough experience to recognize what I woudl easilly consider either lack of knowledge (giving credit to the PO) on maintenance, or someone who just did not care.
    I replaced all the rear swing-arms and control rods (damaged in accident) as well as the entire front assemblies (radiator, condensor, core support, etc.) and she now runs and drives nice.
    I have done the obvious: Oil and filter(s - air and oil,) cleaned 40 pounds of dirt and dust off it and have a new fuel filter for changing tomorrow. The engine bay is now much cleaner, not perfect yet, but getting there. Brake/clutch fluid changed with the BMW recomended as was the coolant (new radiator). The drive belt looks okay, but will likely change it if upon closer inspection, crazing/crackign is detected. CV boots all look fine, but I ahve a spare. Engine mounts at this point look alright too.
    I don't think it was driven hard or abused, but probably just a a "car" and not by someone maintenance savy. There are other indicators, but not worth mentioning.
    So, what I would really appreicate is anything I may have missed? For instance, should, at 114k, I cahnge out the timing change or tensioner?
    Anyting on the S/C I need to service/check? Any input would be greatly appreciated. I searched but did not find anything that summarized the info I am looking for. Thanks in advance.

2. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Great link Nate!!

Thumper

3. neo

neo New Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks! Great info

Really appreciate the thread. I will begin that process and would probably agree wholeheartedly on your recomendations. Thanks again!!