Honda opens $35 million heritage, training center in Marysville

Discussion in 'Mid-Ohio Motoring' started by Nathan, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

Honda Motor Co. today opened a $35 million heritage and training center in Marysville, Ohio, the city where the company became the first Japanese automaker to build a car -- the Accord -- in the U.S., 32 years ago.

The Honda Heritage Center, a 160,000-square-foot facility, features a museum showcasing the company’s product history, a Technical Development Center for employees and offices for Honda North America. The museum will be open to the public starting in January.

“The new Honda Heritage Center is a collection of Honda dreams in the form of products that are responsible for millions of customer relationships,†Takuji Yamada, COO of Honda’s North American regional operations, said in a statement.

“The great variety of products on display -- including powersports, power equipment and automobiles, as well as aviation and robotics -- together with the major milestones highlighted, tell the stories of Honda associates in Ohio and from throughout North America,†he added.

Museum displays highlight the evolution of Honda’s motorcycles, automobiles and power equipment.

The museum also features Honda technologies, such as a replica of the humanoid robot ASIMO, and the HondaJet, which will be delivered to customers starting in 2015.

About 60 products will be on display at the museum, including:

• The C100 Super Cub, the motorcycle that became one of Honda’s early successes in America.

• The CR250R motocross, the first motorcycle manufactured at Honda’s Marysville motorcycle plant on Sept. 10, 1979.

• The 1974 Civic with CVCC engine technology and launched during the oil crisis. Honda’s sales of the model doubled to 103,000 units from 1974 to 1975, helping the company gain acceptance in the U.S. car market.

The Honda Heritage Center joins other U.S. collections such as the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Mich., which is open to the public, and the private Walter P. Chrysler Museum in Auburn Hills, Mich.

GM maintains a North American heritage center in Sterling Heights, Mich., which allows visits by appointment. Mercedes-Benz opened a Classic Center with vehicle displays in Irvine, Calif., in 2006.

Honda said the Technical Development Center will help hone the skills of engineers, equipment service technicians and production associates who work in plants throughout North America.

“Honda is committed to investing in its team of associates and this new training center will allow our associates to continually develop their manufacturing skills so that they can lead the production of critical global models,†Tom Shoupe, COO of Honda of America Manufacturing, said in the statement.

“As we introduce more sophisticated technologies in our products and in our plants, we are working to ensure that our associates are equipped with the skills required for the manufacturing demands of the future,†he added.

The Technical Development Center, which is funded with a grant from JobsOhio, has five classrooms and robotic manufacturing cells that will give technicians a “hands-on experience,†Honda said.

Classes will cover fluid power, maintenance math and frequency drives, but advanced training for specialized areas, such as die molds and machining, also will be available, the statement said.

2. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    ROAD TRIP!!!!

3. 05r50

05r50 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +697 / 0 / -0
    Definitely.

4. Apok

Apok New Member

Jun 15, 2013
    Sadly, finance. The most boring job in the world.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +357 / 0 / -0
    Ohhh, I wonder if Dad could get me in before it opens to the public.

5. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    I see a January road trip for MoMers.
    Now we just need to know if it will be open by then

6. AAONMS

AAONMS Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 16, 2011
    I play with trains...
    Fruit Cove, FL
    Ratings:
    +221 / 0 / -0
    Wish I lived closer.
    I have fond memories of my Honda days.
    Still one of my favorites: My 1989 Civic Si. Put 199+K miles on it in thirteen years and ran many an autocross in it. Dependable as well as inexpensive to operate and to Mod. Pretty quick in its day with only a header, lightened flywheel, an inexpensive exhaust system, an Interga ECU, and Ledged fuel injectors.
    Sold it for $3750 in 2002.
    Wish the MINI could follow along that path. :mtrn: