Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper How can I get more low end torque

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by P4pumpman, Sep 1, 2013.

Tags:
  1. P4pumpman

P4pumpman New Member

Aug 25, 2013
    Tool and die maker
    East Tennessee
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just bought a 05 Mini Cooper r50
    I love it . I would like to get a lil more bottom end power out of it.

What do u guys recomend ?

I'm just looking for a lil more low end torque on hill take offs .

Will a k&n typhoon intake help?
    Thanks

2. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Haha, good luck. Try taking out the rear seat, buying lighter wheels (15's if possible), and running smaller tires. That engine has almost no low-end torque; heck, the Cooper S barely has any, even with the supercharger. Unless you want to start digging into the engine internals, you're better off making the car lighter. Smaller wheels and tires will give you a small gearing advantage, too.

The K&N intake isn't really worth it. It'll save you a little bit of money on filter replacements, but you still have to clean the K&N regularly. And it might be good for 3-5 hp at maybe 5000 rpm? That's not really useful HP to most people. You're better off sticking with the stock filters - they're very good as is.

3. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    I have an 06 non-S Cooper convertible (heavier and even less performance than an R50). An ECU tune helped by improving throttle response and low end torque. It made a noticeable difference for driving in stop and go traffic with the A/C on. I have a dyno tune from RMW but you might look into what Way Motor Works can do: Services - Way Motor Works.

From what I've heard, a Sprint Booster may help. It would be like getting some of the benefit of an ECU tune: Sprint Booster Power Converter - Way Motor Works. Contact Way and they can advise you on different options for power.