Question How do I rotate a photo in a thread?

Discussion in '"How Do I"' started by agranger, Jan 23, 2018.

1. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    I've got an issue that seems to have happened since the site migration.

I'd like for a photo to be show in portrait mode. I've saved the photo to my webserver, as I have for years. Here's a direct link to the photo, so you can see it is in portrait mode:

http://focusoa.bizland.com/rufus/refresh86.jpg

I linked to this photo using the img tags in my post, but the photo displays in landscape mode, making it a bit difficult to understand what's going on.

Here's the post: https://www.motoringalliance.com/threads/refreshing-rufus-2005-mcs-jcw.29878/page-13#post-400327

It looks like the new MA is forcing the photo to landscape mode. Is there any way to fix it?

Note: All 3 of the photos in this post show on my PC as portrait, but are displayed in the new MA as landscape.

2. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Well... 2 of 'em are fixed. On those 2, when I first saw the issue, I loaded 'em into a photo editor, rotated them by 90 degrees 4 times in a row and re-saved 'em, then pushed those files to my web host (an old trick I used to do to get early iphone photos to display right on websites). Perhaps it just took a while for them to update or clear my cache.

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Turn your monitor? :Bag:

4. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    It adjusted on its own (the first time I looked at them they were adjusted). Do you prefer to host them on your server? If you use the “media” page you can create an album for your build and upload lots of photo’s at the same time directly from your phone, desktop, laptop. Then later you just click them to add to your thread (and it will sequence and tag them if you like). If there is a issue you can rotate, crop, etc. You can actually add a “gallery” to your thread that way. I’ll put together a how to for everyone.... just another option. I’ll look into the linking pic to see if there is some way you can control orientation.

Thanks for bringing this up - love the build thread!!

5. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Or tablet.. :Alien:

6. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    @agranger - is everything working OK? I.e. you having any issues?

7. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    @Sully Yep... everything is OK. Like I mentioned up in post 2, I had done an image rotation trick that used to work for me years back. Sometimes it seems that photos aren't marked as to which side is up, so it leaves it up to the computer or the browser to interpret that. My images were straight from my iphone (emailed to my account, pulled down to my desktop, then uploaded to my webserver). When I did that, the images reoriented to landscape (looks bad). I then opened 2 of the image files on my desktop, rotated them 90 degrees four times and saved, which somehow marks the 'this way up' data in the image. I had reloaded the new files to my webserver, but they didn't go right, so I started this thread.

Somehow, a few minutes later, the rotated images magically appeared for the 2 files that I did this trick on, so I'm guessing the upload to my webserver took a few minutes or my browser was still showing me cached images (un-rotated).

Either way... it's working correctly now. Maybe my 4x90 degree rotation trick will help someone else.

Thanks.

8. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Agreed - hopefully it does help.... if required. Frankly I want it to be so easy, we don’t have to “learn” tricks. So thank you for playing with it and letting me know there is “something” going on.. :)