How I found MA - Fuel Mileage Questions

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by katie5k, Jan 27, 2013.

1. katie5k

katie5k New Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just bought my first MINI - a 2012 Countryman. I must say I'm extremely disappointed in the gas mileage. I drove a Saab 9-3 for 6 yrs and got 32 -34 mpg highway going 75 - 80mph. It was rated for 29 mpg hwy. The MINI barely breaks 30 mpg hwy driving conservatively (65 mph) using the cruise control.
    A friend has a Countryman S and gets close to 40 mpg hwy. Other friends with tth hard top get over 40 mpg. So I googled MINI gas mileage and found this site.
    Any advice? Suggestions for how to get the service dept to take me seriously?
    The gas mileage was one of the main reasons I decided to get a MINI. I want to love this car!

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, thanks for joining Motoring Alliance, the FUN and Friendly MINI Community.

Moved this post to it's own thread so it would be seen.

3. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    Is your's an S? Stick or Auto? Your friends cars.... stick or auto?

Auto's tend to suck gas a bit more. At what RPM do you shift (or does the car shift) at?
    Some people's driving styles just fit better or worse with a vehicles shift points, and gearing sometimes. 75-80 can be a bit high in the RPM range on some cars, thus they'll suck it down exponentially moreso than if you were cruising at say, 70...

On a more technical side. What is your tire pressure, rim size in relation to those getting great mileage?. Check the oil lately? Could be over-full.

Lots of variables.. I always got great mileage, but I drive like a 90 y/o grandma most of the time...Then there is the flip-side, my wife would probably average 20mpg lol...She's an amateur Nascar driver

4. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    Welcome aboard

Is your car broke-in or still new. Mileage tends to go up some after it is broke-in. High flow air filter will help some too.

5. JECO

JECO Active Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Newsletter producer, retired DOT chief
    Crozet, VA
    Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Yesterday we completed an eight hour round trip between Winchester and Yorktown, VA. Driving was mostly highway, but some city driving, too. Ours is an AWD with automatic. We use Shell 93. According to the on-board computer, our total gas mileage from door to door was 33.5 mpg. Not bad, I say, for this midi MINI!
    I posted the above on the Countryman Forum several months ago. This compares well with the EPA estimates of gas mileage. I am very skeptical of those who claim 40 mpg.

6. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    We average 26 to 30 mpg with my wife's '11 CMS. I'm pretty happy with that considering it's size and horsepower. What was your expectation?

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Gas mileage should never be one of the main reasons anyone decides to get a MINI.

All auto manufacturers post high gas milage ratings because they are tested in perfect condidtions. (Boring no fun conditions)

A MINI is a fun car to "drive" and is not an econo box high gas mileage auto.

8. USNADrs

USNADrs New Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Food Server,United States Navy Depper(AD)
    Indiana
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    This. :Thumbsup:

9. katie5k

katie5k New Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Countryman is a stick. My friend's S is also a stick. It has about 2700 miles - I know, not really broken in. I don't wind it out before I shift. And I've been very conservative on the highway as I mentioned in my first post. I used driving my Saab 9-3 at 75 to 80 mph as an example - I still got much better mpg than the estimate (29 hwy).
    The dealer just had my car for a week. I drove a Coupe S stick as a loaner. That model is rated 26 to 35. Driving my normal routes to & from work I got 34 mpg. My Countryman would average 27 mpg. I drove the Coupe for a week before needing to fill up. Maybe I'm missing something. I realize the Coupe is a lighter car and more aerodynamic. But those factors are taken into account when the mileage estimates are determined, right?
    I expected better mpg than my Saab - the Saab was a larger, heavier car, with a 200hp engine. I drove it more aggressively than the MINI. Long commute, early morning highway, no traffic... hmmm. Did I mention I used to race SCCA when my Dad had a car dealership?
    I asked the dealer to check whatever they could related to mileage. It was in primarily because I had a steering failure. The service manager asked if I had stalled the car or forgotten to release the parking brake. Turned out to be a defective module. The gas mileage issue? "Could not duplicate issue". Of course the car was driven 4 miles while they had it.
    Sorry for ranting. I have 5 friends with MINI's. They all get better than the estimated mpg. There was another CM owner at the dealership yesterday complaining about the mpg. They told him it was the winter gas blend.
    Too bad dealerships don't allow weekend test drives. Then the mpg wouldn't have been a surprise. I may have chosen a hardtop instead of the CM. Thanks for the feedback everyone. I appreciate it

10. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    you also have to remember those MPG figures are done under ideal conditions and without all the extra weight that the finished vehicle comes with. I don't know why they do that but it is stupid IMHO

11. eMINIparts

eMINIparts Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Mar 13, 2012
    MINI Parts Advisor
    Bedford NH
    Ratings:
    +1,090 / 0 / -0
    Smiles VS MPG............

12. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Our cars are drive by wire but I like to say they are drive by smile mile after mile.