2nd Gen "How To" Front brake pad replacement (Gen2)

pic15_-_insert_pads.PNG
MINI Brake Pad Installation Changing your brake pads is a very rewarding DIY project. This tutorial focuses specifically on giving you the...
By RonsMinnie · Jan 30, 2018 ·
  1. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Greetings. There's a new How To article up in the Library. It's another from Ron (RonsMinnie) and provides a Gen2 update based on Octaneguy's Gen1 version.

How To: Front brake pad replacement (Gen2)

Thanks Ron!

2. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Wow Ron, thanks again for all of your service to M/A. Much appreciated!

3. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Did up Augie this last weekend. New pads front and back, new rotors front, steel break lines and flushed with new brake fluid

Took up most all of the weekend as my learning curve was very long!

Many thanks to Ron for his front brake pad DIY, Richard Lin for his write up on rear brakes on the sewing site, Way of Way Motor Works for some prelim phone support (and of course all the hardware and fluid) and our very own Nate who took a couple minutes away from the 12 hours of Sebring to answer some noob questions.

4. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    Nice write-up. One note. If you just remove the caliper (7mm allen) as opposed to the caliper and bracket, you can easily compress the piston with a big channel lock plier--no need for the fancy compression tool and it will save you time. You do need the tool for the rears, and one note about using the tool on the rears: be sure to lube the rubber boot at the piston flange with a non-petroleum based lube* before spinning the piston. Otherwise you risk ripping the boot.

*We use Wurth SaBesto HHS2000: it's the best

5. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    A couple of other things... I *think* you can just remove the upper caliper bolt (which, is NOT an allen head on the 2nd gen brakes I've seen) and pivot the caliper forward and down enough to swap pads, without removing the whole caliper.

I've also had no problem pressing the piston back in with finger pressure while a pad is installed - press against the pad, and the piston retracts. But I have strong fingers...

6. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    There are two hex head bolts which *appear* to be what you speak other than the 16mm ones to take off the entire caliper assembly. At a guess I'd say 14mm

7. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Yep - those are the ones - whatever size they are - you use an open-end wrench to hold the inner side of those so the whole caliper slide pin doesn't come out, and just remove the stubby bolt that threads into the slide pin. Then the caliper will pivot out for easy pad swaps. Handy if you swap pads for different applications.

8. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Are you suggesting to remove those screws, then the rotor set screw to remove the rotor, and then you could get access to the rear pad as well?

Maybe I'm missing something here but it seems what you suggest would only get you to the outer pad.

Look at the 4th and 5th pic down on Ron's write up. On the 4th his finger is on the top bolt that attach the entire assembly, I *assume* you are talking about the bolts just to the left about 2" and up 1" from where ron's finger is

9. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Yep, that's the bolt I'm talking about. And you ARE missing something.

When you remove that bolt, the whole caliper (including both pads) will pivot forward away from the rotor. Then you can remove the pads by sliding them out of their clips inward (toward where the rotor normally is).

I'm NOT saying that you can replace rotors using the method - only that you can swap pads.

10. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    heh heh no problem. I actually have both front and rear brake 1st gen DIY writeups here on MA as well on the sewing site. Glad you were able to do your brakes! It gets much faster the next time around.

11. RonsMinnie

RonsMinnie New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 28, 2009
    Sugar Land, TX
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Glad you found it helpful -- Thanks

12. kimberlein

kimberlein New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Bellaire, TX
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    #12 kimberlein, Mar 22, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
    Nice write up, Ron, thanks.

How did you modify the metal piece of the Harbor Freight brake caliper tool? Or to what kind of place did you take it?

BTW, did I meet you today at Gashead Motorworks? (I have a 2008 PW/B MCS with an 'Eject' sticker on the glove box button)
    I recognize the red clubman in your How-to about replacing struts and springs. :D

13. RonsMinnie

RonsMinnie New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 28, 2009
    Sugar Land, TX
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Small World - Nice to find you on MA and aren't the guys great at Gas Head?

The brake caliper tool originally had round hole in the center -- I cut the bottom from under the circle to create a "U" shaped cut out in the tool. Now the tool can be place over the threaded rod and does not have to placed through the rod.

Hope to see you soon at a Houston MINI Motoring Society gathering.
    HMMS - Houston MINI Motoring Society

Some fun stuff coming up:

April 3 meeting and Bluebonnet Drive April HMMS Meeting and Bluebonnet Drive - HMMS - Houston MINI Motoring Society
    April 17 MINI mod day MINI Mod Day - HMMS - Houston MINI Motoring Society
    April 21 MINI display-Transportation Day @Becker Early Childhood Center.
    April 24 Adopt-A-Beach cleanup on Galveston Island
    May 3 meeting and picnic after @ Brazos Bend State Park

14. kimberlein

kimberlein New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Bellaire, TX
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, that was my first visit to Gas Head Motorworks and they were great. And thanks for the list of HMMS events - nice to know.

I actually have that brake caliper tool, but that piece of metal is so thick... did you cut it with a blow torch?

15. RonsMinnie

RonsMinnie New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 28, 2009
    Sugar Land, TX
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    It's quick work with a 4 1/2" grinder & abrasive blade -- only takes a couple of minutes.

I imagine you could do it with a hack saw (just more work).

If you would like yours cut out let me know -- our paths with probably cross again soon.

16. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Not the first time I've missed something! :D

Think I'm trackin with you. Will give it a shot when I install the track pads

17. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I ended up using a reciprocating saw with the piece held in place with a make shift vice. Cleaned up the edges with a wire brush I had on my grinder. Did not want to take the time for a extra trip to the hardware store. Ron's suggestion prob best

18. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    God I hope so! Talk about the college of hard knocks. Took me nearly all weekend!

I'm sure it will be much quicker next time around

19. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I can do a full four wheel brake job with fluid bleed now in less than two hours - closer to an hour if all the planets align. Four wheel pad swap in about half an hour (in the garage, with all the right tools). Definitely gets easier.

20. kimberlein

kimberlein New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Bellaire, TX
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the metal cutting suggestions, Everybody. :Thumbsup: