HWY 128 - Winters to St Helena (Napa)

Discussion in 'California' started by NorCalCoopS, Aug 1, 2014.

1. NorCalCoopS

NorCalCoopS New Member

Aug 1, 2014
    Systems Administrator
    Sacramento, CA
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hi all! I live up in the Sacramento area and have taken my 2010 MINI Cooper S on several fun and twisty roads, definitely my favorite weekend activity. Anyways, I will be posting some of my favorite twisties.

Start with HWY 128 from Winters, Ca (off I-505) just west of Sacramento, to St Helena, Ca (just north of Napa). Lots of really good wineries near St Helena off the Silverado Trail.

This stretch of 128 will take roughly 30-45 minutes depending on how fast you go. Also popular with the crotch rocket bikers. Its through a canyon and twisties the entire way, alot of it downhill. Too much fun in 3rd gear, pulling the hand brake around turns. Check it out!

2. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Staff Microbiologist/hematologist at UC Davis
    Sacramento, CA
    Ratings:
    +804 / 0 / -0
    Nice! I'm in Sacramento as well. Thanks for posting these! :Thumbsup:

3. NorCalCoopS

NorCalCoopS New Member

Aug 1, 2014
    Systems Administrator
    Sacramento, CA
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hey Stefanie! Most welcome! Thats awesome! I've motored this stretch probably a dozen times. I cant get enough of it!

If you haven't driven River Road (HWY 160, its Freeport Blvd turns into 160 just south of Sac) down to Rio Vista, I recommend that one also! Please dont speed though as you'll drive right off the levy and into the river, very dangerous. BUT, if you veer off 160 (I think after crossing the 2nd bridge) and keep going, you can get off the levy and onto some lonely country roads where you can really let the tail slide around corners. Its my wifie's fave weekend drive down to the farmer's market just outside of Rio Vista.