Engine Drivetrain 2nd Gen S If you haven’t had an RMW update lately... you may want to read this.

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by orangecrush, Jan 30, 2011.

Tags:
  1. orangecrush

orangecrush New Member

May 13, 2009
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I posted this on the other site because I wanted to give credit when due... this site seems a little more gearhead orientated so I thought ya’ll would appreciate my story.

If you haven’t had an update from Jan in a while, you may want to contact him. Like many on here, I had the Dimsport tune.

When Alta came out, I tried their AP tune. Jeff has been extreeeemely helpful getting tunes out and while I was at the track, I had several days to test it.

I had a great tune that was making the car run the way I wish it would have from the factory.

Since then, Jan now sells the AP tuning system as you know. Because I paid for the Dimsport tune, my updates from him have been for the Dimsport.

Well, a few months ago, Jan sent me an update. It was great, it had more power than I had ever seen. Unfortunately I was seeing a CEL which turns out was something to do with engine thermostat temps. Jan lives in CA and his settings didn’t reflect that I was driving my car in 15-20 degree weather.

Not a big deal but I asked Jan to fix it.

He sent me a new tune about a month ago. I’ve had the car on the lift messing with the diffusers so I hadn’t installed it.

I finally got around to doing so this last week. The tune is the same but now I get a different CEL. It’s a MAP sensor P0105.

I swapped back and forth between different tunes from stock to AP to RMW. It seemed only the last tune Jan sent me caused this light.

Again, I asked Jan to fix it. During the last week, I had driven 300-400 miles on different tunes and not once seen the light... yet, once I used Jan’s last tune, the light would come on.

I explained this to him and he worked on modifying that tune. While I was waiting, I was running the AP tune and lo and behold, the CEL popped up yesterday.

Uh oh, maybe it wasn’t Jan’s tune. I mean, I had been driving several weeks with other tunes and never once saw a CEL but literally within 2 miles, I would get a CEL when I installed the RMW tune.

So I swapped out the MAP sensor with another yesterday. Coincidently Jan sent me the final tune.

I WANT YOU GUYS TO KNOW THAT THIS LAST TUNE IS ABSOLUTELY FREAKING RIDICULOUSLY FAST

Holy Crap, I drove the car yesterday and could easily spin the tires in 3rd gear. It was the smoothest map I’ve gotten from him yet. When I start the car, it idles smooth, when I pull away, it’s veeery smooth and stock feeling yet it has the power of a big block.

This thing is a BEAST!!

So, I hate to inundate Jan with more work but if you haven’t had a tune from him lately, you may want to just check it out.

I’m on my way to buy new tires...lol.

Mark

2. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    I am curious as you stated that you changed apparently a bad MAP sensor the same time you up dated with your current ECU tune. Did you happen for comparison try the Ap or stock or your previous jan ECU tune to see what the results were after the MAP sensor replacement?
    Nice to see you found the cause of your concerns.

3. orangecrush

orangecrush New Member

May 13, 2009
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    After half a dozen different map swap outs, I didn’t have any CEL’s except for the last one Jan sent me.

And I don’t mean I drove with any particular map for 10-15 minutes, I logged hundreds of miles with different tunes and never saw any CEL until I installed Jan’s second to last tune.

I could repeat that exactly over a couple of weeks time. While I was waiting, I ran the last part of the week with the AP tune and never saw a CEL UNTIL the last half hour before I got Jan’s new tune.

I know I should have probably installed the MAP sensor first to see if it went off but since I coincidently received the map within minutes of installing the MAP sensor, I just went for it.

I’ve only driven the car for 2 days and have yet to see any CEL’s so to be honest, at this point, I can’t tell if it were the tune or MAP sensor that caused the problem.

Regardless, the new tune is PHENOMENAL!!! Jan should be very proud of this one.

Hope that made things a little more clear.

Mark

4. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Mark
    Nice having a fit running MINI eh?

:Thumbsup:

5. orangecrush

orangecrush New Member

May 13, 2009
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I’ll say.... makes a world of difference. Smooth and powerful, I can’t ask for any more. (except if it were on an AP tuner...lol)

Jan definitely hit a home run with this tune.

Mark

6. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    It's too bad Jan doesn't just give you the software to run on either device, AccessPort or Dimsport. It probably is more of a headache for him to support both devices. Although I suspect there aren't too many customers like you that have both ;)

7. n1tr0

n1tr0 New Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Mech Eng student & former auto mechanic
    Seattle
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think that's more of a licensing thing, Dimsport's pretty locked down and the data files are completely different.
    If you want to bug him directly for updates, he just launched his own bulletin board

8. orangecrush

orangecrush New Member

May 13, 2009
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I asked and asked if I could have him make me a Accessport file comparable to his RMW file. I didn't mind paying, I just like the Accessport unit better.

Apparently now, it won't happen because my understanding is Cobb tuning pulled his rights to tune using Accessport. Maybe Jan or someone on here can clarify more so as to what Jan can or cannot do.

Bottom line, Alta picked up the pace and sent me another couple of "stronger" tunes (much more in line with an RMW tune) so hopefully it's all good.

Mark

9. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Good that Alta is trying to catch up to Jan's tunes!! ;)