I'm glad I was in a rental car...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by caseydog, Dec 12, 2015.

Tags:
  1. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    So, I drive down to Houston today for my parents 60th anniversary celebration, and the first half is perfect. Then a storm front hits, and rain comes down in buckets for most of the next two hours. I can barely see, and my rental car is hydroplaning like crazy. I get over about 55, and the front (drive) wheels break loose. What a beating.

Just when it seems to be letting up, right around Willis (30-40 miles from Houston), traffic comes to a complete stop. I figure it must be a wreck.

Then, something catches my eye. There is a bunch of "stuff" hovering above the trees next to I-45. WTF?

Then I see the funnel. Oh, crap, it's a freaking tornado -- and I'm a sitting duck on I-45. Cars in front of me, cars behind me, cars to the right, and a guardrail to the left.

As it gets closer, I called my dad. I figured somebody should know "why" if I'm a little, or a lot late.

All I could do is sit and watch it pass me in the other direction, about 100 feet away. I was pointed south, and it was moving North. I got pelted by some of the "stuff," but that was all.

When we finally started moving, we had to weave in and out of debris on the highway. Lots of yellow insulation, tree branches, pieces of corrugated steel and the remains of a speed-limit sign. About a mile down the road, some buildings next to the highway were pretty well destroyed. The yellow "stuff" I saw earlier hovering above me was the fiberglass insulation from one of the pummeled buildings.

What a drive. I got to my parent's house, and went straight to the bar.

CD

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    I would have had to put on clean paints before I went to the bar!

3. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    When I was 13 in 1974, my town was hit by an F5 tornado. That scared the proverbial "sh-t" out of me. This one made my sphincter pucker a bit, but didn't scare me that bad. I was pretty sure it wasn't going to kill me if it hit my car, but I was also pretty sure it would suck, and there would be a lot of, "That ain't gonna' buff out" conversations afterwards.

CD

4. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
  5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Yeah I'll pass on that fun ride but we are glad your ok.

How is the rental?

6. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    Definitely a high pucker factor CD. Glad it turned out well for you.

7. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Who cares? :D

Actually, it seems to be just fine. It was all small stuff hitting the car. There was one pretty loud thump on the roof, but I don't see any dent.

I actually bought the LDW on this rental, which I rarely do. I am kind of disappointed that I can't bring it back with some dents, so I could watch their faces when I told them the car was hit by a tornado.

CD

8. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    I did a search on YouTube, and found titles like "Large tornado hits Wills," and even "Massive tornado hits Willis." LOL

Anyway, I found the video on YouTube from the news footage I posted above -- with audio. Priceless. East Texas to the core. Ma and Pa Kettle Chase a Tornado.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tNr_ox7F0E"]Large Tornado near Willis, Texas | Dec 12, 2015 - YouTube[/ame]

And, more East Texas tornado coverage…

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vfuVIg7Myc"]Massive Tornado near Willis, Texas | Dec 12, 2015 - YouTube[/ame]

I didn't see anyone turning around and going the wrong way on I-45, but I did see a lot of cars that tried to bail out to the access roads, stuck in deep mud on the side of the road.

CD

9. minirab

minirab Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Hagerstown, Md.
    Ratings:
    +851 / 0 / -0
    What the hell language was that?

10. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Pure ghetto Texan in the first video. :lol::lol::lol:

11. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Naw, that is East Texan. It is a mix of deep South, cajun, and redneck. Those folks have probably never seen a ghetto.

CD

12. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    Been there done that in '89 in Amarillo. Only it wasn't a rental. :eek6: :( :cryin: