Exterior 1st Gen Installing early JCW Challenge Wing

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by rob76turbo, Feb 18, 2013.

1. rob76turbo

rob76turbo New Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone,

Just bought an early JCW Challenge rear wing, new in box, but no installation instructions. So I am looking for some guidance / link / resource to figure out how to mount it. Any help would be great!!!

Promise I will post pix when installed.

thanks in advance.
    Rob T.

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    That is a hella find, those things are as rare as hen's teeth these days.

[​IMG]

As you can see in this diagram the Challenge wing does not bolt on like the stock one does. There are covers for the holes where the stock one will unbolt.

The first challenge is removing the current stock wing. Not only is it held on by 2 nuts there is some of the most stubborn double sided tape holding it too. One you remove the nuts then work under the wing with some fishing line and saw back and forth to remove.

DO NOT try and pry it up once some of the tape has been freed. You will put a dent in the roof.

MINI supplied a 2 part epoxy to glue the Challenge Wing on with. From MINI the epoxy and special applicator gun if still available are stupid expensive. If memory serves me well then the 3M™ Panel Bonding Adhesive is what you are looking for.

Hope that helps.

BTW, if you find another one please let me know!

3. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    I'm in the same boat here... I had heard the same advice from a couple of other members and am hoping to sport the change before AMVIV. We'll see..... Thanks for the great diagram Nathan!

4. tgmini

tgmini New Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Meh
    on the North Coast
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I hope to be of help. I have installed two of these. The adhesive gun is not necessary. At any BWM dealer or MINI dealer the Beta adhesive can be purchased in a small tube. The adhesive comes pre mixed. The kit has a spreader and adhesive remover and sand paper. As Nathan says the roof area is extremely soft and not much material so this area will be prone to dents if you pry up the old one. Use a second set of eyes for the alignment, and use a grease pencil or lead pencil to draw on the roof once you have the alignment. Sand this area first to scuff the paint. If you have a black roof, then panic! Use plenty of blue masking tape once you have the wing where you want it. let it dry and also check on the wing seeing if any adhesive has leaked out. Use the beta liquid if it does, and wipe away before it dries. This stuff is like window adhesive. 12 hours and you are good to go. For the wings to cover the old holes, I spread some adhesive on these too. Do not go through any soft touch or car wash. Mine has been on since 2008. Good luck.

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Found the original MINI Install Manual for fitting the JCW Challenge Wing. It's now attached to this post.

Attached Files:

6. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    #6 Firebro17, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
    That install info is awesome!!! Thanks to you both!

7. rob76turbo

rob76turbo New Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    #7 rob76turbo, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
    Thanks for the replies everyone. My wing is different. Here is an eBay auction for one that sold some months back. Mine is new in the box, but with no instructions. I think it is a JCW World Challenge Wing. I detached the images so you can see what I am talking about. What I wonder is how to attach to the car!?

MINI Cooper John Cooper Works (Motorsport) Challenge Wing !!RARE!! | eBay

Thanks again!
    Rob T.

Attached Files:

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    That's totally different.

Contact Alain Lauzière @ Octane Motorsports. He goes by jpropane.

They have raced and maintained the MINI Challenge cars.

9. jpropane

jpropane New Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hello Rob!

It has been a while since we have used this wing so I am going from memory here.

What is the black piece hanging through the screws? Is this metal or foam to protect? I do not remember having this piece on the one we used.

I am not sure if you will like this one but I think the only way you can do it is by drilling. The hatch is 2 layers in this area if I remember well.

You need to drill small holes on the outside to fit the diameter of the screw. And - I think - You need a larger hole from the inside so that you can fit your socket around the nut.

I will try to get someone at the shop to take pictures for you.

Expect your hatch to get slightly dented around the mount from the downforce apllied to the hatch through the wing.

You got a sweet deal. I would not let mine go for that price!

That wing was worth about 4 tenths of a second at Mosport on the Toyos R888.

Alain L.

10. jpropane

jpropane New Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
  11. rob76turbo

rob76turbo New Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    SWEEEEET! Thank you so much for the pix. As the saying goes, a photo says a thousand words (give or take...).