Interior 1st Gen Interior mods

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by MondaytoThursby, Sep 19, 2012.

Tags:
  1. MondaytoThursby

MondaytoThursby New Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I love making my Mini a little more personalized. I recently added blue leds under the dash and a switch to turn it on and off. If you are interested I can post later how I did it. I was just wondering what you have done to personalize your mini. Also my phone won't upload a picture so here is a link. http://mondaythroughthursby.tumblr.com/image/31882662623

2. drabdub

drabdub Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    That is awesome I would do it if I could find pink LEDs. And if you posted the how-to of course

3. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    that looks cool. I am sure there are others that are interested in this mod

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Nice job! :)

5. MondaytoThursby

MondaytoThursby New Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It's actually really easy to do. The hard part is hiding away the wiring.
    Items needed:
    1. Led strips of your color choice.
    2. Can guinea pig fuse such as [ame=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbo=d&biw=480&bih=101&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=car+fuse+wire+tap&oq=car+fuse+wire&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.1.0.0i24.24723.55065.0.58329.39.28.0.0.0.0.1847.4779.5-1j3j0j1.5.0...0.0...1ac.1.-xUlDCYteCA&mvs=0#p=0]car fuse wire tap - Google Search[/ame].
    3. A switch

Installation:
    1. Find a fuse in the fuse box that you aren't worried about not working. It's not that it won't work with the guinea pig chip it's just if you don't get it grounded correctly it won't work. Better safe than sorry.
    2. But in the guinea pig fuse and ground the ground wire under the steering wheel colum to the frame there should be a bolt you can unscrew slightly and wrap the wire around the just tighten that bad boy up.
    3. Run the wires behind the dash peices. I just tapped them up.
    4. Find a place to put the switch. I put mine on the inside of the silver beams in the center of the dash. I drilled a hole just big enough to fit the threading if the switch through and wired up the switch and put in in.
    5. Attach the leds to the groves under the dash.
    6. Enjoy.

This took me about half an hour. Also if you attachthe fuse to something that turns off when the car is off it'll turn off with it and you won't have to worry about your battery dying if you forget to turn them off.

Sirry it took so long to provide the how to I've been busy with school and work.