Exterior 2nd Gen Is a new windshield the only fix for "sandblasting"?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by alwzopn, Mar 3, 2011.

1. alwzopn

alwzopn New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My R56's glass seems to be the softest I've ever had - even my Jeep Wrangler with its near-vertical windshield didn't seem to have quite as many tiny pits in the surface.

Is it possible to polish these out? Has anybody had any luck with this kind of repair short of replacing the glass? I have the rain-sensor ($$$ to replace) so I'd like to avoid that if possible...

2. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I just replaced mine after 70K miles, installed used Pinklington not the OEM. Clear glass is a beutiful thing! Not sure on durability, havbe to get back to you

Installed it was $330 but I do not have the rain sensor. Not sure what the upcharge is for that

3. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    The pits are too deep to be polished, the only thing you can do it replace it, but you'll love the new view if you do, just like Tim says.

I did my '03 JCW when it had about 50K and what a difference!

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Same here but I have an R53 with Rain Sensor. They also used Pinklington glass and it better than OEM crap. My replacement was $385.00 on site. I have had my windshield in for over a NE Winter year and still looks great. (Road Salt, Cinders, Ice)

Call a local body shop that works on Minis and see who they use for class work. They call them and get a quote and say you are paying not an Insurace co. You will be suprised in a good way about the price.

5. alwzopn

alwzopn New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I feel dumb for asking, but who would I call to see if the pits can be polished? Is that something a body shop would be able to do? Or would I call a glass replacement shop?

6. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    No mater what anyone tells you they can not buff out glass pits.

7. alwzopn

alwzopn New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    That sounds counter-intuitive that it would be less if I pay...? Is it because they figure it'll take forever to get the money if it's paid by the insurance?

Should I even bother checking with my insurance company to see if it's covered?

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
  9. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Ding Ding!!

Depends on your policy and deductible but I doubt they are gonna pick up the tab on a wear and tear item. Somebody breaks it, sure. Accident, sure

10. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Thats encouraging!

As far as recommendations I called the local guy who has clear bra'd and bonnet striped both of our MINI's and used the firm he suggested. When I talked to the installer he said he did work directly for the local MINI dealer as well

11. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    I don't know about other generation MINIs but the 1st Gen 2001 and 2002 viewing TSBs replaced under warranty hundreds because of pitting due to soft windshield glass. Some of the first aftermarket windshields were thicker and the plastic side covers did not reattach well.

Glass installers or shops get different quality levels of windshields. You should always ask what the quality level is and the guarantee. Examine the glass before they install it. Look for waves, spots, discoloration,and thickness consistency. Anybody can get a windshield replaced for under 350 but you may end up with less than quality glass. This is one of those things "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR" parts.

12. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    There is one other fix besides a new windscreen...

...a new MINI. :cornut:

13. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    If I could buy a new windscreen for $214.00 with a new MINI attached I'd be all over it.

Nice windscreen you have there! :Thumbsup:

14. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    My deductible for a windshield is $100, so every couple three years or so something hits it and breaks it. Which actually really happened, something big and black like a nut got thrown up from a truck tire and I thought it was gonna come thru it!

Safelite did my wife's Audi the same time as the dealer did my '03 MINI, I wished afterwards I'd had Safelite do both - he did a superior job on the Audi. The dealer.........eh, not so much.

I just noticed the wife's Audi has another crack (for real) right in the same place as the last time. I have no idea how that happened (no really!)...cause her's isn't all pitted up like mine is - after mine's only done 30K too...

15. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    If the Audi cracked in the same place as before make sure they check the windshiels opening for metal burrs in the area where the crack originates.