2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Is this noise normal? I need your opinion.

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by TheEggO, Jan 5, 2013.

1. TheEggO

TheEggO New Member

May 1, 2012
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi guys,

I got my 2010 JCW pre-own with 20k miles. Since I got it, it has this knocking sound that bothers me. Took it to the dealership complaining about a weird engine noise, they checked it and found nothing wrong. I felt that I was not very specific when describing this noise to them, and thats probably why they ignored it.

After researching in the forum, I became aware of the common problem with the timing chain, I took the car back one more time a week later, and this time being very clear that I wanted them to check the timing chain tensioner.

When I got the car back they told me to change the chain tensioner (part 11-31-4-609-482)

Here is a clip of my car after they replaced the tensioner. The sound is still there.

[ame=http://youtu.be/8BOfCmUKZ8M]Mini Cooper timing chain noise - YouTube[/ame]

So I'm wondering is this is a normal sound for the car. Or is something still wrong.

What do you think?

Thanks

2. Joe

Joe New Member

Jan 6, 2013
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It seams a bit loud but normal IMO.

3. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    I vote normal. I do not hear any timing noise... just valve noise.

Maybe Seafoam it or worst case it needs some of that carbon buildup cleaned out.

4. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    I'd say normal also, that's the thing with that engine which I'm noticing with our 13 CM, a hell of a lot noisier than the R53 engine.

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I find the engine in our R55 justa to be nosier than my R53. That being said it is much quieter than the OP's DI Turbo Prince of an engine.

6. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Suggest you might be hearing some ticking from the high pressure injectors used with the DI engine.... Which is normal.... My fuel rail pressure at idle is around 750psi and I am used to hearing the ticking sound of the injectors operating....

7. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: It sounds like Margi(08 BRG R56 MCS/JCWm) after her oiler and timing chain were replaced. To me she sounds like an older Singer Sewing Machine.:Thumbsup:

Jason

8. TheEggO

TheEggO New Member

May 1, 2012
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

This morning I started the car again and I feel the sound is different when I do a cold start.

It's driving me crazy. Please, I need more feedback. Is this normal?

[ame=http://youtu.be/xccgkarLWBs]Mini cooper cold start noise - YouTube[/ame]

9. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    This time I heard a ramdom clanking sound....
    Check your oil level (the dipstick can be difficult to accurately read....)
    If your oil level is low, you may not have adequate oil pressure to set the chain tensioner, which will then leave too much play in the chain...

10. TheEggO

TheEggO New Member

May 1, 2012
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The oil level is high. The mini technicians always add to much oil. I hate it. :mad:

So, should I take the mini back for service? What should I say this time?

11. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    THAT sounds a little like the tensioner noise to me. Has that clacking sound amongst the usual valve clicking sounds.

Does it sound bad outside the car when you give it throttle?
    This is timing tensioner noise from outside the car. If it still revs and sounds normal, then I would venture to say it is. They are just very annoyingly loud engines.
    http://s13.beta.photobucket.com/user/iwashmycar/media/Mini/Outsidecar.mp4.html

12. grodenglaive

grodenglaive New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    In the 2nd vid, you can clearly hear the clunky bag-of-hammers sound. This too is normal.:)
    That did not go away when my tensioner was changed either and my engine always ran strong.

13. OhBe1

OhBe1 New Member

Aug 10, 2012
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    First one sounded like mine. The second... I'd call it clacking rather than clanking, but I'd bring it in.
    My dealer overfilled mine, too. I had them drain it.
    Oddly, mpg went down 2 after that...

14. countryboyshane

countryboyshane New Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Diesel Engineering
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    His doesn't sound that bad. My car sounds similar the first five minutes when it starts up but after that it smooths out. It doesn't sound offensive...yet