1st Gen R53 Cooper S Issues Removing Crankshaft Pulley Bolt

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Isshanna, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Isshanna

Isshanna New Member

Jul 24, 2013
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry if this is a repost of something else, I am new to the forum, though i have looked through the other articles to look for something that would help, i haven't been able to find anything. If there is an answer to this problem already could you link it.

I am trying to replace the harmonic dampener on my 05 MCS, so far I have pinned the tensioner back and removed the wheel well shroud to get access to the pulley. When I try to remove the bolt however it will not loosen. I know I have to counter hold the pulley in some way to prevent it from spinning, but I still cannot get the bolt to loosen.

I have tried two different methods that I have seen recommended, the first, since it is a manual transmission, I put the car in gear and had a friend step on the brakes to hold the pulley and tried to loosen the bolt, but that didnt work, as the brake rotor just started slipping in the brakes.

Then I tried the process where you put bolts in two of the three holes used to remove the pulley, and then used those bolts to hold a brace for the pulley to prevent it from spinning, but when trying to loosen the center bolt, one of the other bolts just bent.

Is this normal? Is it supposed to require this much torque to remove this bolt, of is there some step I am missing or some other trick I can try to get this bolt loose.

2. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Soak it in WD 40 over night? Give Steve at Custom Mini Shop a call, (559) 320-0004, he's changed a ton of those :Thumbsup:

3. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    The problem most probably isn't because the bolt is corroded, it's just the amount of torque used is more than you can produce with your setup.

This is one of the problems with trying to do complex jobs with limited tools, absent the factory holder what you need is an impact wrench....they make electric ones if you don't have access to compressed air.

Do you have the right puller to remove the damper? It doesn't just slide off, it needs the correct design puller.....and an impact wrench would help here too.

If you don't have these things you'd be better off to take it to a qualified shop and let them do it, but one word of warning, you need to follow the instructions that came with the new damper carefully - it's easy to mess up if you don't.

4. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Also, 1st post. Welcome to MA and good luck with your project. :Thumbsup:

Jason

5. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Impact wrench.

6. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    While in gear, place a screw driver in a brake rotor vein on both front wheels, and brace against the brake caliper. This will provide the resistance needed for break-away, and to apply correct torque during installation.

7. jiminni

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    You mention torque and impact in the same paragraph, thats usually the problem, just grab the impact and to heck with the torque wrench :lol:

8. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    The torque of a real air impact gun (in reverse) will remove the bolt.

9. minsanity

minsanity Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    Here's an unorthodox trick that takes a bit of adventurous courage. Place a socket wrench on the bolt & rest the wrench arm securely somewhere on the lower control arm/sub-frame area to counter the motion of the crank pulley when engine is running. Make sure it's really secure. Turn the ignition to crank the engine but not start. You'll instantly get the bolt loosened. Proceed w/ caution. Tried this once on a friend's R53 recently. No sweat.

10. jiminni

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    I was thinkin opposite :cool:

11. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Ok :lol:

12. minsanity

minsanity Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    Here's the trick we used. It simply works!
    A video by Scotty Kilmer:
    [ame=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7G-adEVjfWI&feature=relmfu]Crankshaft Pulley Removal Trick - YouTube[/ame]