Exterior 1st Gen It fell off!

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by UKXPAT, Jan 6, 2011.

Tags:
  1. UKXPAT

UKXPAT New Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Happily driving along the freeway yesterday, and suddenly I hear a little thump and this piece of rubber starts flapping around my drivers window! I immediately think that a piece of road debris has impailed itself under the wiper arm. I open the window and grab the offending piece of rubber, wind the window back up and carry on. When I get home, and view the outside of my car, this is what I find!

I have never removed this panel, no windscreen replacement in recent years. Anyone have this happen before? Any thoughts on the reasons? Anyone have a spare?

Attached Files:

2. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Yes they are known to come off, especially at high speeds. Most likely a dealer part.

3. TWISTER

TWISTER Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Male
    Web Developer/Designer
    Piedmont Triad, NC
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    #3 TWISTER, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
    Wow

4. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Ever had your windshield replaced? The dealer and better w/s places replace these moldings when they do the windshield - a lot of aftermarket places don't, they just glue them on - this is usually the result a while later.

It's definitely a dealer part, and you probably should have them or a good glass place install them for you, I think there are some clips you need too....

5. YesIFit

YesIFit New Member

May 25, 2009
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Come to the next DIY day on the 29th, pick one up, and have the techs help you install it!

6. FUEGO

FUEGO Club Coordinator

May 4, 2009
    IT Geek
    DFW Texas
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    You are actually missing two pieces. The outer black shell is < $60 IIRC and it comes with new mounting clips already attached. I had to replace one after someone broke into my car (bastidges!) Then there is an inner molded foam core that goes between the shell and the A-pillar. Not sure what that part costs since I didn't need to replace it. I believe both parts are less than $100 and easily replaceable.

7. UKXPAT

UKXPAT New Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The rubber was the piece I rescued. Trying to be a 'sensible' driver I pulled it into the car as I was traveling down the freeway rather than letting it fly off into someone else.

8. UKXPAT

UKXPAT New Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So the 150MPH mark might have been the trigger!:D

9. UKXPAT

UKXPAT New Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Where can I find details on your DIY day?

10. UKXPAT

UKXPAT New Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    $56 plus tax for the outer piece, apparently. Not too bad I guess.

11. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    January 29th at MINI of Dallas

Starts at 8:30AM, last car must be off lifts by 3:00 PM

Need to a MetroplexMINI member to take advantage of the event, we will have registration forms there. Cost is $25 to be a member unless the new Board changes that price. We won't know till they take over on Jan 15th.

We try to enforce a two hour max on a lift but make on the fly exceptions depending on need and the amount of people that show.

MoD usually provides lunch

Parts can be ordered ahead of time and picked up the day of the event. MoD does offer discounting to Club Members, just let them know you will pick up at DIY Day.

We've not posted the event on the MM.org site yet. Once we do there will be an RSVP function so we have some idea of how many there will be.

And you heard it here first. There may be an out of town vendor attending as well, these plans have not been finalized as of yet.