JCW as a Sub-brand?

Discussion in 'MINIs in Other Media' started by Nathan, Jan 25, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The blog over at Car And Driver has a posting today about MINI positioning JCW and MINIs ///M brand.

Read the full article over on the Car and Driver site then pop back here to discuss...

What do you think of such a move by MINI?

2. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Well, it makes perfect sense to me, unfortunately.....

I'm already on record as saying MINI has priced itself out of my league for a new car, they're simply following the model Porsche, Mercedes, Audi and BMW have used for years.

Porsche really has it down, to the point of being able to offer less equipment on limited models and charge more for it!

The coupe and roadster are good examples of MINIs following the model set by Porsche.

I think I'll be buying used cars from here on out, myself........

3. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Sort of but not exactly like Chevrolet and Corvette where the employees insist with a turned up nose that they don't work for Chevrolet, they work for Corvette. One car with 2 levels of brand as opposed to one car with several levels of options. One Mini for the regular people and a different one for the high and mighty? I don't know. I think that I'll stay out of this one and listen to y'all.:Thumbsup:

Jason

4. ronnie948

ronnie948 New Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Retired
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    2009 factory JCW is already in a class of it' own

Yep, Engine made in Germany, Different gears in the Transmission, Different axle ratio, Brembo Brakes, Different suspension. The Factory JCW is not an "S" with a bunch of stickers stuck all over it. It is a truly different car.

I drove an "S" and it was not the same car as my JCW.

The "S" is good but not the same.

I love them both but I love my JCW a little more. (FOR ME)

Now I'm sure there are going to be some of you that will say they can soup up an "S" to out perform a JCW but that is not the point. The point is that a 2009 up factory JCW is just in a more high performance class stock for stock then a Mini "S". They are Mini Coopers but just not the same.

:beer

5. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut:I have an 08 R56 MCS/JCWm and although "them there's 'fightin words'":lol:, they are true(to me).:Thumbsup:

Jason

6. ronnie948

ronnie948 New Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Retired
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Hi Jason

I do like the "S" and will probably end up with one with an automatic Transmission if my hip & legs get any worse. Of course I will need to install the JCW performance kit, Brake kit, and a set of Michelin Exalta PE2 245/ 17 tires on it.

The car would be as close to my JCW as possible but it still won't ever be the same.

I sure wish somebody would come out with a beefed up Automatic Transmission for the factory JCW's.

All of the Corvette tuners have access to beefed up automatics when they super tune a vette.

:Thumbsup:

7. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I think it would be a good move, as long as it doesn't push the price through the stratosphere. MINIs are already overpriced. Ideally they should drop the price of the Justa and 'S' and keep the JCW at its current levels. That likely wouldn't happen though

8. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    It seems OK to me. Make the JCW a top notch, one of a kind stand alone and if you can afford it great. If not go with the "S" and be happy with it. Honestly, most of my friends look at a car, like what they see (or can live with it), buy it and never do another thing go it. They look at me with a blank stare when I tell them what I have done to my MINI.

With that said, the MINI is a fun car, right out of the box and base price, plus a couple (key word couple) of options is not bad. It is when you start loading those fun to have, but not really necessary options that the price climbs fast.

Jim

9. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I see no reason for it. Assuming they actually physically separate things they won't save anything in terms of development or production costs, will they? I think it's all about creating snob status and justification for increasing prices and, more importantly, justifying an increase in profit margins on the JCW.

Does it really take a separate division to improve the breed? Maybe those working on the JCW are held back somehow by having to play nice with others?

10. Cone Assassin

Cone Assassin Local Shop Owner

Jan 7, 2012
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    If we had the One here, that would put pricing in a whole new perspective. About the level and cost of a 500, yet the Mini would still be the better car.
    I have a hard time justifying the purchase of a FWD car at that price, especially when the focus is on performance - the negative.
    It could mean the release of more AWD platforms into the hatch and BMW engine sharing (N20), which is the positive.
    Either way, I will continue :drool

11. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Welcome aboard. :Thumbsup:

Remember the Mini was FWD (only one at the time I believe) when it won the Monte Carlo Rally, way back when, several times, so FWD can't be that bad. :D

Jim

12. Cone Assassin

Cone Assassin Local Shop Owner

Jan 7, 2012
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Yes, but there is a difference between traction control and 65 HP :smile5: