Joe Paterno

Discussion in 'Politics and other "Messy" Stuff' started by rum4, Jan 22, 2012.

Tags:
  1. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
  2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    409 total wins (The Winningest Football Coach in NCAA Div 1)
    61 years at PSU
    2 National championships
    3 undefeted seasons
    7 Decades
    12 Presidents
    "Success with Honor"

No matter what has happened in the past six months he still was a great coach and will be missed by all. Those records will NOT EVER tarnished by an Assistant Coach.

We were Penn State. We are no more.

Joe Pa you will be missed.

3. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Ya I heard. Say it ain't so... R-I-P Joe.

4. docv

docv Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 30, 2009
    moble auto paint tech ( PTU )
    Central Missouri
    Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    It is a shame his last months were in such turmoil

RIP Coach

5. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    A true legend in college football. He'll be missed.

6. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: I don't want anyone to die but, if he had to die; now was the time such that the courts and press wouldn't drag his honorable name through the mud. As a christian, I'll get to watch him coach again. Of course, since it will be in a perfect heaven ; he'll be coaching the UT Long Horns:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Good Bless,Coach. Have a good journey. At 59yo, I'll see ya soon.

Jason

7. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Sorry, but I don't think he will be in heaven........was a great coach, but not such a great human being.

8. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    REALLY! Have you ever met him? Did you know him personally? I bet the answer to both questions is NO.

I went to PSU. Do I think he made a moral mistake? Yes did he break the law or lie? Answer No.

I would value your personal opinion more if you had never made an incorrect judgement call in your entire 85 year life.

Its ok to hate "PSU and the Football teaml" and I would respect that opinion, but do take that hate to the level of dispect of a mans entire life's accomplishments, Charity and University contributions.

He reported and testified what was "reported to him". Joe did NOT commit perjury in front of a Grand Jury as the former athletic director Tim Curley and school vice president Gary Schultz did.

9. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    You are right....never met him. But there was too much going on for him not to have known something.

And I am sorry, but he was just a college football coach. All in all I have much more respect for teachers and prof's that actually teach a student.

10. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    Well of course!!!!! Let's crucify him for what he might possibly have known and not what a jury of his peers have convicted him of. Aw hey lets get out the white sheets and do this thing right.
    I've also heard it said that,'those who can,do;those who can't teach.' I disagree with those people but it makes about as much sense as saying that a coach is beneath the level of class room teachers/professors.

Jason

11. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Yes, he was a great coach but for the last YEARS he was mainly a recruiting tool for them. As with most coaches on all levels he does not make the play calls. There is an offensive and defensive cordinator for that.. as the ole saying goes "surround yourself with good people and good things will happen" but that is a whole nother deal..

Sure he did pass along the info of what he heard but he should have followed up on it knowing that it could and would tarnish the school, football program and himself if it turns out to be true.. WHICH IT DID!!!!!
    and yes I have never met the man and don't care what good he has done in his life ( becasue I don't know what good he did but I know about this ) This is and was a major fault in his life and it will be part of what he is remembered for, like it or not...

12. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    As far as the "alleged charges" are concerned, we must keep in mind they are still just "alleged" at this point. Nothing, has yet, been proven, that I am aware of.

Jim

13. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    True but the damage is done.. Which is why I say he should have followed up till it was known one way or the other... Granted might would have only saved himself by following up but wouldn't that have been worth it for him and his legacy!!!

If you see something suspicious ( say a person looking in neighbors windows ) and call 911 to report it. they will ask if you want to know what they find out. Don't you want to know????

14. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    There are a couple of things to keep in mind. He reported it to his superiors, who clearly messed up and did not follow through. He saw nothing and was reporting "hear say" information from a second party. Had he gone to the police, they may or may not have done anything with it for that very reason. He was the "head coach", but in the overall structure of a University, he was a small fry and following the chain of command was proper.

Jim

15. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    but look where it got him!!! anyone else think had none of this happened that he might just still be alive today... Stress will kill you...

The whole thing got messed up from the beginning, and who knows what is true at this point and there is no way for the accused to prove he didn't do it. It is ALL hear say now....
    Right or wrong coach will always be rememebred for this... even if it never goes to trial..

16. Jan

Jan Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +382 / 0 / -0
    this Sandusky thing is way bigger than just him...........it will all come out in the trial. I have heard this from people who are close to the situation. There is a District Attorney that went "missing" when this first happened back in the day. Keep your eyes peeled, it's going to get ugly.........

17. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: As the Poet once said of life........SH!+ Happens!!........and when it does, which it most certainly will..........just drive on soldier. Doing the right thing(which he did) is what counts in the long run unless of course one is more worried about public opinion than doing the right thing. An uninformed public view from a slanted media is just the price of being a public figure. Joe Paterno....he done alright.................

Jason

18. Jan

Jan Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +382 / 0 / -0
    I think when all facts are known you may not feel this way........time will tell

19. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    A simple RIP would have been the appropriate response, but religion was brought into this thread and hence the arguments start :)

Never, never discuss politics, religion and something else but I can't recall. That's one of them there golden rules or maybe it was a Gibbs rule, never mind.....

Just sayin.....

20. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Well since this was brought up.. if Joe Pa coaches a football game in heaven against another coach of equal stature who also made it to heaven, does that mean the game will be a tie? :aureola: