Suspension Brakes Just Installed, TSW rear sway bar!

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by SK8BRD, Jun 13, 2009.

1. SK8BRD

SK8BRD New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    More importantly I learned the difference between the Sports Package and the Sport Suspension options.

The Sports Package is mostly appearance, sport seats, bonnet stripes, rear spoiler, and an upgrade to 16" wheels on the Justa.

The sport suspension option gets you bigger sway bars (16 to 18 mm in back, 21.5 to 23.5 front).

So even though I put on the TSW sport springs and camber plates, I've been reluctant to go to a 19mm bar because I thought I was 18 already.

But my car liked staight lines way too much, even though I have some toe out both front and back. And when driven hard the front tires scrubbed a lot.

TSW just started selling a 19mm rear sway bar this week, so I got one and they graciously installed it. When we pulled the stocker out I laid next to the new one and there looked like way more difference than the 1mm I expected. Calipers measured my old bar at 16mm, a check on the front confirmed that it is 21.5mm.

On the way home I stopped by Pennington Field where we had an autocross last Sunday. No cones! The result is that it is much, much harder to set off the DSC, because the car turns much much better.

Thanks TSW!

2. Mike

Mike New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    You are welcome!

Just to fill in a blank or two, this new rear bar is a two-position adjustable bar made just for TSW by KW Automotive. The suspension bushings are German-made units that are teflon-coated to prevent squeaking. I'll get pictures up as soon as I can.

3. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Well then congrats on the new rear bar. A 16mm in the rear is way too skinny for what you do with your car. Happy turn-in!

4. SK8BRD

SK8BRD New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My back of the envelope calculation is that this bar is twice as stiff as the old one, and still not too much!

5. SK8BRD

SK8BRD New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

And it works on gen 1 MINIs as well.

6. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    For a Justa I believe MINI specifications say standard is 22.5 front, 16 rear and sports is 24 front, 17 rear.

7. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Nice to see you putting a 19 on the Cooper. When are you going to the track for some laps? :D

Let us know if how it performs and what you think since you did a season with with the springs only last year. :cornut:

What hole position are you starting with on the 2 hole adjustment, soft or hardest?

Dr. Mike, how do you feel your bar compares to the Hotchkiss 19 3 hole adjustable? I run the Hotchkiss in the softest setting with the TSW springs on my MCSa.

Don

8. Mike

Mike New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I have the same bar on my MCS, and it is currently set to the stiffest setting (with KW V3). The stiffest TSW setting should be the same or nearly so, and the second hole is a little stiffer than the softest Hotchkiss setting.

9. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Thanks, if I read you right, makes sense. Good comparison.

Don

10. SK8BRD

SK8BRD New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Going to a DE at Eagles Canyon this weekend! I'm starting on the softer setting, when I saw the size difference between the stock and this bar I chickened out on going to the stiff setting.

BMW auto-x number 3 on the stock sway bar on a very tight course I got smoked by an R50 with a 24mm rear sway set on the stiffest setting. He rarely had all four wheels on the ground.

Auto-x number 4 with the new sway on soft and a more open course I beat a stock R56 JCW. But to be honest, it was his first auto-cross ever. He'll be at ECR this weekend, but we'll be in different run groups.

11. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    You going to run with the Intermediate group or the fast folks?

Let me know what you think, I believe my friend with his 09 JCW needs a new rear bar, but not sure if he wants to go 19, 20 or 22. :)

He tends to run with the fast group, but the base suspension in a JCW is not quite up to it. It can run fast, just a bit soft.

Next good lapping day I get I am going to move the bar up a notch, then lower the rear tire pressure a bit.

Don