Kara :: 2005 MINI Cooper S JCW

Discussion in 'Member Garages' started by UKCoopeR, Apr 30, 2012.

1. UKCoopeR

UKCoopeR Active Member

May 21, 2009
    VA,USA and UK
    Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    TBD... can't make up my mind :: 2005 MINI Cooper S JCW (2012-04-30 09:35:21)

2. UKCoopeR

UKCoopeR Active Member

May 21, 2009
    VA,USA and UK
    Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    #2 UKCoopeR, Apr 30, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
    I promise to add more pics once the 15" wheels arrive :)

3. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: NICE CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's see, JCW, BRG, and ALL the bling. She's got it all.:Thumbsup:

Jason

4. UKCoopeR

UKCoopeR Active Member

May 21, 2009
    VA,USA and UK
    Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    Haha Thanks :lol: It took a bit of searching, weeks on ebay/autotrader etc but I wanted a BRG with low miles and happened to luck out with a good deal on a JCW!

5. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: See! The Lord does work in mysterious ways:Thumbsup:OR! Be careful what you ask fore as you might just get it.:lol::lol::Thumbsup:

Jason

6. UKCoopeR

UKCoopeR Active Member

May 21, 2009
    VA,USA and UK
    Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    In that case I ask to to stumble across a set of custom coilovers, giken LSD/clutch, fixed back seats, header, cam, head, custom tune.... what have i left out hahahaha :crazy:

7. UKCoopeR

UKCoopeR Active Member

May 21, 2009
    VA,USA and UK
    Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    15" wheel pics are up!

8. UKCoopeR

UKCoopeR Active Member

May 21, 2009
    VA,USA and UK
    Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    Updated the lists to reflect a fun yet pricey winter, updated and accurate pics should be soon!

ATI Super Damper - Techinally last fall when my oem one exploded lol
    RMW Oil Pan Baffle
    Helix SSK
    Vibra-Technics Race Upper Motor Mount
    Castrol SRF Fluid
    Replaced rotors with another set of 11.75x1" from Todd

First trackday of the year is this weekend, fingers crossed the high of 46F tomorrow gets rid of the snow lolololol

9. fridayxiii

fridayxiii Member

Mar 7, 2013
    Male
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    I LOVE seeing more BRG/W, and the fact that it's an R53? Even. Better. :Thumbsup:

10. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    #10 Firebro17, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
    A very nice R53 for sure. From the looks of some of the pictures, it seems like we have some of the same things in mind. Cheers...... :beer

11. debscooper

debscooper New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Export/Food Service Sales Service
    annandale nj ~ OZ
    Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -0
    NICE . . . Clean looking byrd . . . . Enjoy the ride and welcome from across the pond. !!!

12. UKCoopeR

UKCoopeR Active Member

May 21, 2009
    VA,USA and UK
    Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the kind words fridayxiii, Firebro17, and debscooper! I am definitely pleased with the color choice myself :) I had an indi blue r50 before which I liked a lot too but the BRG seems to fit so well with my idea of how minis look in my head

Weather forecasts for the track event is slowly getting better
    sunny on both days with a high for 53 for Sat and 59 for Sun woot woot

Will still be chilly with the windows down but heated seats will help :p <- one the reason i haven't changed to fixed back ones hahaha

13. UKCoopeR

UKCoopeR Active Member

May 21, 2009
    VA,USA and UK
    Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    Forget to update with the new suspension i got a few weeks back!

~1" lower and corner weighted at ~2824lbs with 5/8 tank + a 180lb driver

14. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    It looks Great.

15. UKCoopeR

UKCoopeR Active Member

May 21, 2009
    VA,USA and UK
    Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    Pics are now quite out of date! Car is at the shop getting a new corner balance with the winter upgrades which are:
    Swift 80/70 N/mm spring on the same Ohlins RT dampers
    NMEng sway bar endlinks
    Helix Rear Control arms (looking forward to getting the rear camber under -2.7!!)
    Jongbloed 305-Aero wheels (with nt-01 for dry and r1r for wet/cold) should be much less breaky
    Along with the standard fluid work etc

Getting closer to that dream list i posted almost 2 years ago!... next up will be replacing the seats and getting a proper harness/rollbar setup as I slide around A LOT on the stockers. It is 20 degrees and there is still snow on the ground so not sure when i will get it to the track but i will toss up some new pics once the tires are mounted (last 2 arriving today) and the car is back from the balance

At the very end of last year I was fighting a misfire so went one step colder on the plugs and popped on new oem coil pack. The other new 'issue' was as I was going faster I started to get so much weight transfer forward under hard breaking the rears would lock and abs would flip out and turn off (quite exciting coming down from 127 for a 2nd gear 180 degree turn with the rears locked and getting hella swideways if only i was a drifter hahaha...) I hope the 33% stiffer springs help with that and worst case I can look for less grippy rear pads that can still take the heat (currently using pfc97 which are more of an endurance compound than the poly a i use on the front but I still seem to have too much rear bias when running r-comps – it was fine on street tires)

16. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Great looking ride with all the right parts. You will love the Swift springs. :Thumbsup:

17. UKCoopeR

UKCoopeR Active Member

May 21, 2009
    VA,USA and UK
    Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I am looking forward to giving them a proper workout once the snow is gone. The sheer volume of great reviews, yours included, are what steered me that way to start with and the fact they have usable stroke in their catalog is great.

18. UKCoopeR

UKCoopeR Active Member

May 21, 2009
    VA,USA and UK
    Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    Ugh, sounded like the supercharger was coming apart when i turned it over last weekend :(
    That will put a delay on the season...

19. UKCoopeR

UKCoopeR Active Member

May 21, 2009
    VA,USA and UK
    Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    After the countless delays I finally got the mini back out on track (been doing chump car races and karting to keep the skills up).

I took the car to Shenandoah this weekend with SCCA and it was really fast, I was running in the 1:43s almost 2 seconds faster than before and would have been second in time trials if they had let me run (I don’t have all the required safety equipment yet). While there weren’t that many cars there were some good drivers, a world challenge TCB (Brian Price) was doing some testing after finishing crash repairs and Sam Strano had a foxbody that was quite a monster. Both of which were in the same run group as me (fastest non-TT group).

The suspension changes (stiffer swift springs) must have really helped because it actually was leaking boost. I used to get almost 15psi but now tops out at 13psi at ~5krpm then actually drops to 10psi at the redline. I can hear a noise that sounds like boost escaping but it is slight and only when I am really hammering it. I have no idea where it is coming from but maybe a boost leak test could help find it and get it back on full power… Can’t wait to see what I will be able to do with full power and these springs :D It hard to know how much came from upping the rates and how much from the “swift”-ness of the springs. I do feel the need for some kind of limited slip now though as I do get more wheel spin than I remember… I should probably get a rollbar/harness/seat first though.

I am happy to share AiM data with anyone that wants to check it out. I will post back here when I have the video up, I will trim it to just highlights and fast laps so it isn’t boring. Strano had a fun save after passing me into the loop haha.

Fun fact, the new wheels did actually result in cooler brake temps, which I was not expecting despite the manufacturer claims. They are much more “closed” then the delicate Enkei ones which couldn’t take the track abuse so, stronger wheels + cooler brakes is awesome, but they are $$$ so I guess it evens out.

20. UKCoopeR

UKCoopeR Active Member

May 21, 2009
    VA,USA and UK
    Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    I forgot to mention the best part of the stiffer springs, the rears wheels aren't as keen to lock under braking anymore, super handy for braking deep haha!