Brakes Wheels 2nd Gen Tires Kudos to DT

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by old81, Apr 26, 2011.

Tags:
  1. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Well after much internet searching and viewing all the product for the R56 brakes (rotors and pads), I decided to get my parts from Detroit Tuned.

I had met Chad and Crew at AMVIV a couple of years back, so since I have been spreading the MINI budget around, it was DT's turn.

Wanted slotted rotors, really wanted some DBA 5000 2 piece rotors but not to be had on the R56 S.

After looking at the selections, I went with DBA4000 rotors (my choice) and Hawk pads as recommended by Chad.

Not sure about the HPS pads, but right now I'm running CB 1521s and XP8 in the rear (lazy).

My rotors have never been changed by MINI in 33K + miles, so it is time for my Spring maintenance with lots of Mountain driving, track lapping days, etc.

I tried to grind them down, but never use the brakes on HPR and Pueblo. :aureola:

I will use my XP10 / XP8 combo for my lapping days.

MINI is off warranty in June, so doing most of my work prior to going off warranty and thinking about extending the warranty for 2 yrs or drive for a year and buy the new Coupe. :)

Install should be on 11 May, if the front rotors get here, everything else was shipped promptly without any drama.

Probably sticking on some RE11s 215/45/17 for track days and staying with my Nitto's for the summer.

Will do a progress report and impressions comment after I have all the bits on the MINI.

One question, does anyone have a caliper set for the stock 07 MINI R56 fronts that they recommend? Mostly looking for quality, lightness and ease of pad changes.

Of course cost is an item of concern. :drool

Don

2. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Check out TCE's Plus 1 12.2" kit or their Plus 3 13" kit. Wilwood 4-piston fixed calipers are great. WMW and DT also sell similar kits with the Outlaw 4-piston fixed caliper. Fixed calipers take about 15 minutes to change front pads, and most of that is taking the wheel on and off, plus they're lightweight aluminum and usually two-piece rotors.

3. Todd TCE

Todd TCE Member

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

The R56 DynaPro 6 Caliper kit- $659

Wilwood DP6 calipers (6 Piston)
    TCE steel mounting brackets
    BP10 pads
    TCE spec stainless steel hose kit
    All required hardware
    Wilwood 570 Brake fluid (2)
    TCE bleeder bottle
    Optional RED powder coat finish- ADD $125

[​IMG]

4. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    If you want a good street tire that gives fantastic grip and resists the effects of track heat go for Hankook R-S3s in 215/45/17. Much cheaper than the RE-11s ($130 vs $200 per tire) and a better tire to use on the track.

Or go for some full on Nitto NT-01s for R-compound rubber that won't break the bank. These are cheaper than RE-11s ($152 per tire) as well...

5. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Good stuff, keep the comments coming.

@Todd, the TCE kit above will work with my DBA4000 rotors? Have to check that out as the next upgrade. :)

Don

6. Todd TCE

Todd TCE Member

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    As long as it's the stock size rotor Don. Doesn't matter who's just 294mm or the alternate 320 (?) JCW parts. I have brackets for both.

7. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Nice, I will go browse your website. :)

8. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Road update

Well after a little delay getting the correct DBA 4000 front rotors, all is installed on the R56.

Since both installs of the rear and a week later the front rotors and brakes were during heavy Colorado rain days, I did not get the opportunity to really drive hard. :crazy:

Sunday the MINI5280 club had a picnic drive that covered some great mountain roads and allowed me to get an impression of my current setup.

Previous I was running Bobcats on the front and XP8s on the rear with stock MINI R56 rotors.

With the DT stainless lines, Hawk HPS pads F/R and DBA 4000 rotors, the braking is very very good. :Thumbsup:

Pads did not take any real special activity to bed into the rotors, they just worked well from the beginning.

Braking is excellent, very firm without any judder or extra noise. I really like this setup.

So far, I have about 250miles on the setup, about 100 of it being some pretty serious mountain twisties.

So, if you want to get an excellent street setup, this gets my vote. :)

Don

When I get some more cash, I will have to see about that front rotor upgrade. Perhaps before a fall lapping day at HPR. :biggrin5: