LED rear foglight, cheap!

Discussion in 'Car Builds, Projects, Idea's Experiments' started by DixonL2, May 10, 2009.

1. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Supply Chain Implementation Guy
    A bit north of the 'burgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    OK, I posted this up in the Library, but since it's really just a hairbrained scheme that made it into reality in my garage, here's the link. You can make this work on about any car...

I took this
    DSCN4630.jpg

and turned it into this:
    P3280041.jpg

Which looks like this when lit:
    r_fogPB.jpg

(note: Run rear fogs only if it's really foggy. Do NOT run rear fogs all the time. They're EXTREMELY distracting to following drivers)

2. Jabbles

Jabbles New Member

May 4, 2009
    HVAC service
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I saw you post on MU I think. Nice write up. I agree on the no rear fog unless it's actually fog or maybe heavy rain. I have followed a few MINI's that were guilty of this and it really was a distraction.

3. AllBlack05S

AllBlack05S New Member

May 18, 2009
    Selling Harley parts worldwide
    Bartlett, Il
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    nice and for those of us without fogs you can use white, run your power off the hot to a reverse light of your choice and do 3 reverse lights. Also a 4th brake light is an option.

4. imspencerwithanr53

imspencerwithanr53 New Member

May 27, 2009
    Barista
    Portland, OR
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I think I will do this to my reverse, good idea. :Thumbsup:

5. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Supply Chain Implementation Guy
    A bit north of the 'burgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    With some creative use of diodes, you can do all three... install an array of red and white LEDs (wired separately, of course). With a diode on the brake circuit ,you can make the fog light up every time the brakes are used as well as being used for a fog, and wire the white to the reverse! I suppose this diode could one also used in the array...

Now a Mini colleague wants to wire whites around the fogs on his R56 as an Audi A8 lookalike and DRL substitute...