Local Government Spending....

Discussion in 'Politics and other "Messy" Stuff' started by Metalman, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    So you want to see what your local county government is spending on stuff?

Military_equip_to_states Search and Report

This almost gave me a coronary... One pair of mittens.... Really????:crazy:

OH FRANKLIN MITTENS EXTREME COLD 1 LT $5,000.00

2. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Staff Microbiologist/hematologist at UC Davis
    Sacramento, CA
    Ratings:
    +804 / 0 / -0
    Hundreds of pairs of cold weather drawers!!! In Sacramento....

3. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    #3 Firebro17, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
    I guess we are preparing for Hell to freeze over!

In a most likely actuality, and I could certainly be wrong here, this looks like Federal Excess property that has been acquired by qualified local government entities through the screening process. If it is, then it's a bit of a testimony as to our Federal Government's ability to buy a virtual unbelievable number of items, normally with an unbelievably high price tag assessed. Once a year, Departments have to declare property as being excess, whether used or brand new in some cases. These items are run through many layers of bureaucratic paperwork, organized in like types/kinds, etc. and then shipped to one of many depots where they are then available for screening. Federal agencies have the first option to obtain these items. I believe it's a three week period that the items are available to be transferred within the Federal system. Items not selected for this type of transfer are then made available to qualifying State and County government entities, via the screening process I outlined. These items are donated to the State and local governments. Items acquired are the responsibility of the Entity to repair and maintain, throughout the remaining life if the item. Once the State or local entity has outlived the usefulness of the item(s), they go up for auction. I believe the proceeds received through these auctions go back to the Federal government, the original owner of the item...

Oh and also, I might add, local government folks who acquire these items are required to maintain an inventory listing for all items they may have. They are subject to inspection at any time, and may not dispose of any item, no matter it's significance, without following proper Federal procedures.

There, that's about all I can recall.

4. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    Over $6k for a pair of binoculars

1750 RIFLE,5.56 MILLIMETER but at a good price of $499 ea. Considering most of the county is covered by the Columbus police I wounder what the county needs 1750 ARs for. Obama's private army.... Sorry I mean Homeland Security. I feel so much safer now. :rolleyes:

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    My county the first two lines are for a bridge. The next two are for grenade launchers the other 4 pages is rifle ammo.

6. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like Militia building. I don't agree, but I understand... It's these created times we are living in.

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Mine only had one rifle and 2 extended clips. The rest was a tool chest, master set of tools and additional wrenches and other tools.

I guess we just have a fully armed DOT worker. :p