London cobra show this weekend

Discussion in 'Mid-Ohio Motoring' started by 05r50, Jun 26, 2015.

1. 05r50

05r50 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +697 / 0 / -0
    Totally forgot this was coming this weekend. The Cobras are already cruising all over Hilliard and west franklin county.

They will be up at mid ohio this weekend as well.

London has their strawberry festival going on this weekend so you get food fun and even a quick ride in a cobra if you donate $$.

It's too late to buy a $20 raffle for the cobra car giveaway but you can still buy tickets in person. Drawing is Sat night.

Here is a link to the giveaway car.
    London Cobra Show - The Ohio Cobra Club

London Cobra Show - The Ohio Cobra Club

Here is the car you can win. Complete with 427 under the hood.
    [​IMG]

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    It's a hoot heading out there. East side of Main St is the Strawberry Festival, west side the Cobra show..

Only in 'murica!

Today, Firay, is the Autocross at the Circleville Raceway. Ever want to see spinning Cobra's, this is the place.

3. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    I have 2 raffle tickets for that car. Hopefully you'll hear my name called out!!!!

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I'd be happy to babysit it for you till you can get here to pick it up. :drool

5. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0

I actually ran the auto-x today ( the Buckeye Miata Club guys had to leave by 11:00) and it was a great time! Dave Smith , the owner of Factory Five, was there with two cars they brought in on a sweet transport rig. He was super nice and offered up both cars for runs on the course. Allen took one of the cars out and is probably still smiling. Didn't get many pics because I was busy non-stop all day, but here are some that I got of the two FF cars before the rest of the cars showed up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Allen after one of his runs...
    [​IMG]

6. 05r50

05r50 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +697 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the pics Brian.

The local Ohio Cobra club has been building and raffling a car for a number of years now. All the money goes to research Cystic Fibrosis.

Factory Five has been a huge supporter of this effort for years and has donated heavily to the cause.

Just like we have found in the enthusiasts community, there are a lot of good folks in the car space and they love to help others.

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Allen - "So just how can I tell the wife it was an even swap for the Miata with a straight face?"

[​IMG]

8. 05r50

05r50 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +697 / 0 / -0
    Just got home from the cobra show auction and raffle.

Pretty spectacular night. Over the years, they have raised a total over $900,000 for CF. Tonight they handed over a check for $110,000 putting their total to over $1 million.

This money goes directly to research for a cure. Being a gene defect disease there are variants to how to treat it. My niece is lucky. She is part of the 3-5% of CF patients that are on a new drug that neutralizes the effect of the bad gene. Now when she is tested she shows no signs of the disease.

The FDA is hopefully going to approve another new drug within the next week hopefully that will be good for approximately 50% of the CF patients.

These car guys and gals have made a huge difference with their generosity.

Here is a pic from tonight. From left to right Dave Smith from Factory Five, his daughter (a CF patient), my niece, her father.

[​IMG]

This is the first year that they sold 10,000 tickets for the raffle. 100% of the tickets were sold. The winner was not there and didn't answer the phone when called. I think they are in for a big surprise.

Here is this years car
    [​IMG]

And next years car.

[​IMG]

9. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Very nice contribution the the CF Foundation. :Thumbsup:

Well done!

10. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    My phone hasn't rung so I guess it wasn't me...

11. 05r50

05r50 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +697 / 0 / -0
    Haha. Yea, I didn't even get a ticket this year. I always buy mine when I get to the show and this was the first year that they had sold all of them. :confused5:

Just before the drawing the emcee pulled out 1 last ticket and auctioned it off to the highest bidder. OK, Here is my chance. 20, 40, 50, 75, 100, Dang it. $200 for a ticket. The buyer filled out the card and then it went into the barrel.

The winning ticket ended up being a internet sale and they had the call live to the audience and left a message for the guy to give them a call. Kinda like this;
    "Hi, this is Tom from the Ohio Cobra Club. Can you give me a call when you get this message" queue cheering crowd.

Imagine getting that call outta nowhere maybe months after you bought your ticket. :beer:beer

12. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    About a dozen of them were up at the track Friday. They were the only cars showing in the coral Friday.

13. rigidjunkie

rigidjunkie New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Membership Manager
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    When I was 5 or 6 I saw a Cobra in the small town where I grew up, from that moment on I always wanted to have one or at the very least drive one. Friday that lifelong dream came true.

Dave was incredibly cool, he walked up to us drooling all over his cars and said "you guys want to try them out?" Within 10 minutes of meeting him I was hitting the rev limiter in 1st gear headed to an off camber turn with a swamp on the outside edge.

After three laps I hopped out and my hands didn't stop shaking for about 4 hours. Each lap I pushed a little harder and that final lap the tail was happy and I was playing with turning the car using my foot instead of the wheel.

This is a day that will stay with my forever. One day I would love to build one of these and having met Dave that desire only grew. It was very cool to see him talking to the guys who had bought kits from him and to see the passion they each brought to their cars.