Suspension Brakes 1st Gen Longer Strut Top Hat Studs

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Scavenger, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Scavenger

Scavenger Active Member

May 11, 2009
    Male
    Apex, NC
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    This seems harder than it should be... I just want to find longer studs for my stock top hats. I searched around, talked to a few fastener places, but haven't quite found it.

The stock stud is an M8x16 - 10.9

All I need is the same thing with an additional 10-12 mm in length!

I know a lot of people just replace them with standard bolts, but then you have to hold it from the bottom while you tighten it. I want something that presses in like the original! I've found two possibilities:

1. self-clinching
    2. Serrated

I hope someone has found this, I've looked all day til my eyes hurt! Surely, as many of us who are adding braces, protector plates and all the other stuff, someone has solved the lack of enough threads! HELP!!! :mad2:

2. BlwnAway

BlwnAway Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    Just pop them & replace them with bolts, the "studs" are there for more of a convience than structure.

You can either pop & replace one at a time if everything is together or if you have them out & still want studs, have someone weld the new bolts in place, viola, new studs.

And really any bolt will do, they don't "need" to be hardened.

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    You most likely won't find them...
    These are typically used by manufacturers for quick production installation... Eliminates the need for tapping the hole or using a nut... And the fact that it's metric makes it even harder for a direct replacement...
    Probably your best bet is to do what BlwnAway suggested....
    If you are familiar with the Ireland Engineering fixed camber plates.... They come with longer studs... But even they used countersunk flat head socket drive screws that are tig welded in place to prevent turning.... Basically do the same thing....:Thumbsup:

4. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    Maybe there's another solution. What do you need the longer studs for?

5. BlwnAway

BlwnAway Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    Bolt length is one of the reasons I like the Craven Tower Defenders over others.

6. Scavenger

Scavenger Active Member

May 11, 2009
    Male
    Apex, NC
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    I actually have the IE Fixed plates now, and yeah, the stud length is great. I was thinking of going back to stock top hats.

If I go back to stock top hats, I plan to use the Craven UTI's and I want to keep my current strut brace. So, all of that leaves very little thread with the stock stud.

I think I can see the next question coming... :wink: "Why do you want to go back to stock?" Well, it seems like inner tire wear was a bit excessive on my last set of tires. :eek6:

7. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    If you are experiencing tire wear from the camber plates you aren't driving it hard enough :)biggrin5:) or you simply need to rotate the tires a bit more often.

If you want to use the stock part and use the UTI I wouldn't worry about using the strut brace as it has shown to not really add any handling benefits, just some under hood bling.

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Scavenger - Did you align your MINI after putting the IE fixed plates on. Adding negative camber to the front of a MINI makes them go toe-in. If that was not corrected with an alignment you'll wear the front tires.

If you have had it aligned I'm with Scott, drive faster. My front tires wear pretty evenly with IE fixed plates.

9. Scavenger

Scavenger Active Member

May 11, 2009
    Male
    Apex, NC
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    I know, but I like the Bling :drool

It was aligned, The plates have been on for 3 or 4 years now. I could be jumping the gun and the plates really will be Ok. I am lowered now, which I think has settled a lot, and part of this update is prep for new coil-overs, and actually a slight "heigthening".

But, now that I've started this search, I'm really interested to at least see if I can find something. I know some other people that would like some if I find them.

10. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I believe the the IE fixed plates may be giving you too much negative camber since your MINI is lowered. On my MINI with stock springs I'm at -1.9 -2.0. The only way for you to take out too much camber would be adjustable plates.

11. Scavenger

Scavenger Active Member

May 11, 2009
    Male
    Apex, NC
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    Yep, that's why I was considering going back to stock hats. Cheaper than adjustable Camber plates. :Thumbsup:

12. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Yes good adjustable plates aren't cheap. That being said I'm going to say spend some money & buy them. :wink: