1st Gen R53 Cooper S Lots of codes after challenging DT BPV install

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by minintrigue, Nov 10, 2011.

1. minintrigue

minintrigue Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Banker
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Ok, need some help here again. Last Friday I spent way too long working to install the Detroit Tuned bypass valve. The short story is here http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/cooper-s/10942-im-terrrible-mechanic.html.

Anyway, its running great. All of the yo-yo/surging issues are gone, and frankly the drive-ability of the car is vastly improved. I couldn't be happier with it.

But, the SES light came on when I had the broken supercharger intake tube on it, but went out after I had installed everything back in order. Monday, about 20 minutes into my commute, the SES light returned and remained on all week. I finally had a chance to have the codes scanned at Autozone tonight, and the codes are below:

P1689 Electronic throttle control monitor 2/3 torque calculation error
    P1242 Secondary Upstream Manifold Air Pressure Sensor Too High in Deceleration
    P1109 Manifold air pressure too high in deceleration
    P1229 Throttle sensor adaptation failure
    P0123Throttle/pedal position sensor/switch 'A' circuit High
    P0222 Throttle/pedal position sensor/switch 'B' circuit low
    P1237 Secondary Upstream Manifold Air Pressure Sensor Low Input

Again, the car is running very well. Gas mileage seems to be good as well.

So, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks - Jim

2. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Clear your codes start fresh from there.

3. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I threw one of those codes when I unplugged the throttle body sensor and turned the car on. It was fine after I cleared the codes. What Nitro said +1.

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    +2 :yesnod:

5. minintrigue

Sep 30, 2009
    Banker
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Ok, went back and there's only one code now - P1237 Secondary Upstream Manifold Air Pressure Sensor Low Input

I also looked under the bonnet and its possible that one of the tubes that go into the throttle body from the air box may not have been seated properly, but it was hard to tell.

Any ideas?

6. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    My thoughts are you have an air leak? Double check your work you did replacing the BPV. You may need to re-due your installation? Careful attention to all intake connections,hoses lines etc as well watch for the accidental disruption of other parts close by that can easily be disturbed during any work performed.

Tech tip: Don't get frustrated if you have to do a re-installation. Most all of us at one time or more have had to do this on some part or another. It does not make you a good or bad mechanic. Give yourself credit for DIY work. :Thumbsup:

7. gds194

gds194 New Member

Sep 26, 2011
    None
    Centennial CO
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    It's a badge of honor and pride!

8. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    I second checking all hoses to make sure they are seated good. although when I had a vacuum line fall off I had a P1498 code. I think the description was un-metered air or something. Also the 2 pedal position codes most likely appeared when you unplugged the throttle body I get them all the time when I unplug mine.

9. minintrigue

Sep 30, 2009
    Banker
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    New addition to the issue log - a couple of times over the past week or two my EML light had come on and stayed on. Seems to happen when the car has sat and its cold outside. A couple of times I was able to cycle the ignition by turning it off, and the EML light went out, but this morning it did not. It did not come on after it warned up outside a bit, but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.
    So today I finally had a chance to pull everything off again from hose standpoint and make sure they were all seated properly, etc. Everything looked ok and I was super careful when I reinstalled everything, but again I had the EML light illuminated.

It continues to run great.

I did ask a BMW tech who said that secondary air only activates during the first minute or so of a cold start to blow air into the engine/exhaust to help lessen emmisions. Also said that no flow/low flow faults are caused by faulty secondary air pumps. But I've not been able to find anything about this in the Bentley manual.

So I guess its time for a trip to the dealer to have them deal with it. I kind of hope its something simple, and therefore relatively inexpensive to fix. Otherwise I'll kick myself for causing an even more expensive problem.

10. minintrigue

Sep 30, 2009
    Banker
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Well, fail at the dealer yesterday. I took the car in to have it diagnosed and fixed. To make a long story short, I called them at 3:00 only to find out that their computer was having problems so they couldn't even hook up my car to diagnose it. He stated that there were a lot of faults, to which I stated that it was likely due to trying to run the car with a massive vacuum leak and then again without the harness plugged into the bypass valve.

They did state that they couldn't find anything wrong visually, but still quite irritating to not have it taken care of.

So I picked it up and there were no lights on. Not sure if they were able to reset it or not, but it wasn't listed on the paperwork. This morning, still no lights. Until I was almost to work and the SES light came on again.

But this time I was watching closely when it did and I've determined what behavior causes it. I was cruising along at 45 mph in 4th gear, and when I downshifted into to 3rd to slow for a chicane, that's when the light came on. Now certainly there would be a lot of things going on at that time in the electronics, but maybe that will help narrow it down a bit for a reader here?

I'm scheduled to take it in again on 1/3, which is the earliest I can get a loaner...

11. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Have you purchased a code reader yet. It really is a good investment, not only for the MINI but for any other vehicles you have.

12. minintrigue

Sep 30, 2009
    Banker
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Which one do you recommend? Was looking to get one, and most likely the Peake R5/FCX-3-16.

13. AliceCooper

AliceCooper Club Coordinator

Mar 13, 2010
    CT Technologist
    South Florida
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Get a Scanguage it can read codes and clear them as well as tell you water temp, manifold air pressure, RPM etc....

14. minintrigue

Sep 30, 2009
    Banker
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Well, I bought a Bavarian Technic code reader and here's what I have:

0234: Turbo/Supercharger Overboost Condition

and

1237: Secondary Upstream Manifold Air Pressure Sensor Low Input
    Signal or value below threshold

I cleared the codes and the SES light, drove it for a bit and the SES light didn't come back on. I rescanned and had the same codes. Today after running errands, the SES light came back on so I pulled the codes again - same codes.

Why would the same codes throw an SES light some time and not another? I've been under the hood numerous times and can't find anything that it loose/not connected, etc.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe the gasket between the supercharger and the intake tube is letting some pressure through? I did not replace it with the intake tube as the parts guy said there wasn't one - but when I got home that day I found the green gasket in there.

Could I have put the gasket in backwards?

Thanks again...

15. minintrigue

Sep 30, 2009
    Banker
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Just to provide an update to this in case anyone else ends up with these codes. After 4 trips to the dealer:

Trip 1 - computer was down so couldn't trouble shoot
    Trip 2 - determined it was a TMAP sensor, replaced - light came on 12 hours later
    Trip 3 - determined a seal was crimped near the BPV, straightened it - 24 hours light came back on
    Trip 4 - found a broken vacuum line inside of air box. Fixed, its been several hundred miles and 4 days - seems to be fixed

16. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like the problem has been solved. Too bad it took four trips.
    Did you get your money back from the dealer for parts/labor on trips 2 and 3 that did not solve the problem and probably were never a problem?

17. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for updating the thread with the solution.

18. minintrigue

Sep 30, 2009
    Banker
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    As a further update to this thread, SES light and EML lights returned once it got cold again. The EML would only come on if it was under 32 degrees. Code was P0234. They performed a smoke test on the intake system and found the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator to be unhooked/loose. The replaced that and its been fine since. It was 24 degrees this morning and no SES or EML. Maybe I'm finally fixed!!

19. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    9 times out of 10 when those lights come on, they are vacuum/boost related on the Mini. 2cents

20. AliceCooper

AliceCooper Club Coordinator

Mar 13, 2010
    CT Technologist
    South Florida
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    So, on the way home today the Mini started running like crap, surging and at stop lights acting like I am hitting the gas. Get home open the bonnet to investigate and notice a boot has slipped off my forge intercooler on the drivers side. So I figure ok there we go and fix that up, start the car and she seems to be fine but now CEL is on and when I check codes I get P1109- Manifold air pressure too high in deceleration
    P1242- Secondary upstream manifold air pressure too high in deceleration.
    I cleared the codes but the CEL is still on and its still throwing the same codes. should I just buy a new MAP and T-MAP sensors and swap em out and cross fingers. It was running fine before the boot slipped off the intercooler. Thoughts ?