2nd Gen R55 Clubman Major Surprise During Minor Service

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by HiFi Guy, Oct 8, 2012.

1. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy New Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    #1 HiFi Guy, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
    My "Service Due" light was on and counting down. With 1700 miles until service due, I finally got time to take Rita to Orlando Mini for her annual checkup.

They checked the key and said I needed an annual service and an oil change. Front brakes are recommended but not yet due- another 4K miles and she will be back for front pads and rotors. She also needs a tire rotation.

While doing the service, the technician found the bolt for the timing chain tensioner was backing out and there was a minor oil leak. So, they are replacing the tensioner and chain. The tech also said he would inspect the valves and clean the valves if he saw carbon on them.

I did ask my MA about the carbon issue. He said to drive it like I stole it and that the car was meant to be driven hard. He said that the issues they see are from gently driven cars. Kind of reminds me of my old MGB- I bought it very used, and drove it gently. It constantly broke down. One day, I got pissed and started to thrash the car- it never broke down again. :lol:

So, the car will be there all day. They gave me a ride home (not exactly around the corner.)

My total cost for all of this? $20- for the tire rotation.

So far, I am quite impressed with Orlando Mini. :Thumbsup:

2. mendez

mendez New Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hey, my husband is at Orlando MINI (been there since 10am) to replace tail light and license plate bulbs. Dealership is replacing 3 "recall" items....aluminum door trim, coolant temperature sensor and timing chain tensioner while he is there. LOVE ORLANDO MINI!!

3. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy New Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    #3 HiFi Guy, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
    Update- My MA called back and said that they caught this early. The timing chain is fine, the tensioner and bolt are getting replaced now and I should be able to pick her up an a couple of hours.

Drove the wife's Hyundai today as I had errands to run. I miss my Mini. She has soul.

4. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy New Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Picked up the car. Ever since I had it, there was a hesitation off idle. I thought that was just "nature of the beast."

I was wrong. The hesitation is gone. I love the car even more now, which I didn't know was possible.

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Glad to hear all went well and there is bonus to boot.

6. Firewire

Firewire New Member

Sep 25, 2012
    OKC, OK
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    That was a good visit! How many miles are it?

7. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy New Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    28,100 miles on the car now.

After they did the service, they reset the service indicators. Now, the dash is telling me I need another vehicle inspection in 3100 miles. I wonder what is needed next? My MA told me to bring the car back at 35,000 miles for front pads and rotors. At least it is all under warranty.

Looks like I'll be drinking lots of free gourmet coffee. I might even try the free ice cream.

8. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Glad everything was fixed and you only paid $20's.

It's really nice when you Mini is running smooth.