Mano has a passion for Minis - Trinidad Guardian

Discussion in 'Classic Mini' started by Nathan, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Visit - http://guardian.co.tt/lifestyle/2013-09-28/mano-has-passion-minis for a few images

In our haste for modernity, we too often destroy objects of tangible history. On the flip side, Augustus “Mano” Sylvan appreciates the value of preservation. Mano’s main focus is restoring old (and not-so-old) Mini vehicles, including cars, pickup trucks and jeeps. At his garage, Mano pointed to several old model Austin and Morris Mini vehicles in different stages of restoration. “These are my toys,” he said, with a boyish smile. “I have a passion for Mini vehicles. My main hobby is their restoration.” In 2001, he acquired his first old Austin Mini. With eagle eyes, he went through the coach works and engine. For months he worked tirelessly with surgical precision to restore it. The final product was satisfying: just the way he had envisioned it.

Mano is a member of the Wheels Club in Dow Village, South Oropouche. He developed his auto mechanic and auto bodywork skills from an early age. Most of the younger villagers knew him as the owner and driver of a maxi taxi; he also ran a bar. His taxi was always in immaculate condition; because of his friendly, careful, driving attitude, he was a favourite in his route. Mano soon decided to acquire and restore Minis, and became an active member of the Trini Mini Car Club. “Every young boy and girl should have a hobby to pursue to old age,” Mano said. “Too many of our young people complain of being bored.” For Mano, being bored is not an option. Whether it’s restoring Mini cars or his latest hobby, jet skiing, he’s a man that keeps busy. He likes jet skiing along the Mosquito Creek and up the beautiful Godineau River through the Oropouche wetlands, leaving a trail of foam along the river as he maneuvers his machine. He explained: “It takes me five minutes from the river mouth near the Shore of Peace Cremation site to The King’s Wharf, in San Fernando; and with no traffic jam included. In the opposite direction, sailing to the South to Point Fortin, it takes me approximately 20 minutes.”

There’s an increasing interest in jet skiing between San Fernando and Mosquito Creek, says Mano, who is among ten other enthusiasts who ski together, and who will soon form their own jet ski club. They will host a family day, to include exhibitions of other skiers and other aquatic sports. Mano says this may even be the beginning of an annual aquatic event at Mosquito Creek.
    Mano’s first passion, though, is restoring Minis. He explained that owning a vintage Mini car and driving it can be a disappointing experience for some people who may purchase one, only to later discover possible drawbacks: some may find the steering too hard to turn, for instance, because there is no power-steering system; the ride may be rough; the braking system is mechanical; the window winders are manual; there is no air conditioning, CD player, or other sophisticated electronic devices compared to other modern (often fully- powered) vehicles. One driver, he shared, had described his experience of driving an old Austin Mini as “a physical workout in a gym.” But Mano thinks otherwise: “You must appreciate the history and development of the motor car from its early days, and the vast improvements which followed.”

The Austin Mini pickup truck is a rare sight on our roads. Many have never seen one. In his secluded restoration garage in Dow Village, South Oropouche, Mano prides his fully-restored Mini pickup truck as “possibly the only one of its kind in Trinidad and Tobago. It is in perfect working condition.” He said his Mini pickup, in its early days, was designed as a mini-utility vehicle (1961–982). It was slightly longer than the Mini car, having a rear cargo area instead of the back passenger seat, and having a tailgate for loading and removing cargo. This Mini truck could carry a maximum load of 1,500 lb (680 kg). “Boy, I bought this Mini pickup from a guy in Vance River,” he told me, “...it was parked up for a long time. I always had my eye on it. When I (finally) got this pickup, it was a start-from-scratch exercise; complete knock-down to complete restoration; inside and out.” Another in his prized Mini collection is an attractive metallic blue Austin Mini Cooper (2003 model). This special breed of Mini was the result of a collaborative effort between John Cooper of the European Cooper Car Company and the management of British Motor Corporation (BMC) of the Austin Mini.

With appropriate mechanical improvement, the result was the creation of a Mini performance car - both models, Austin and Morris Coopers. Those models won many international rallies, and even won some here in Trinidad in the early days of auto sports in Waller Field. Mano also has an Austin Mini Moke. Austin Mini Mokes are rare in Trinidad and Tobago. The model is a low, mini jeep without a hood, and with open seating for four to five passengers (including the driver). The Austin Mini Moke was first intended for the British Army, and built with a twin engine, four-wheel drive, suitable for steep gradients and rugged terrain. Later, the single engine model, with front wheel drive, rolled out of the assembly line. Those were used in Barbados and Grenada as holiday vehicles for tourist sightseeing and beach combing, and also sometimes as police vehicles.

Mano entirely knocked down his Mini Moke. Starting from scratch, he did the heavy coach work, priming and repainting it. He installed wheels, lights and the engine. Mano and his assistant Abdool expect to complete restoration in a few weeks: “The result will be a work of art,” saus Mano. Sylvan started his car restoration hobby twelve years ago when he bought his first Austin Mini. Like any hobby, when taken seriously and with dedication, it can be expensive, but he says it is always rewarding. Sylvan spends all his free time in his garage. He considers the time well spent. He comments: “When you consider the hours of hard work, and you view the progression from almost scrap to finish, the inner pleasure and satisfaction you achieve seem spiritual; dollars and cents cannot pay for that.”