2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Manual Boost Controller FAIL

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by RedMamie, Apr 10, 2014.

1. RedMamie

RedMamie New Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Accounting - Construction Billing
    SETX
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    So, I have realized that a manual boost controller will not work on an R56...

Thankfully, I live with Macgyver and my investment was only about $10

I may just be REALLY bad at researching this, because I can't seem to find a workaround, but does one exist?

I found a video with installation instructions for an electronic boost controller, but I'm not quite ready to make that large of an investment if it turns out it won't work either.

So, how on earth can I get a manual boost controller to work on my car? I read that the ECU basically keeps it from generating more than 14 psi, which is about what I experienced with the homemade manual boost controller we installed. And the boost level kept changing constantly. It would jump to 14.6 then drop to 12.8 and jump back up, then drop back down again. We were using the Torque app to watch boost levels.

2. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Reprogramming the Engine Control Unit is the only way. Just changing the boost without changing the fuel map will cause the engine to run lean and possibly melt holes in your piston crowns.

Dave

3. RedMamie

RedMamie New Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Accounting - Construction Billing
    SETX
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    I'm assuming you're talking about getting a tune done on the car. I don't really have the funds for that.

I saw some mentions of a fuel control or boost control defender. Any experience with that? Will it work for me?

4. oldbrokenwind

oldbrokenwind Active Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Northern NV
    Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    My Manual Boost Controller is used in conjunction with a Garrett turbo. MBC's control the waste gate opening, and OEM turbo's waste gates are operated by a vacuum. Garrett waste gates are operated at positive pressure --- my default was 11 - 12PSI. With the MBC, I've been running about 25PSI.

The Boost Cut Defender, aka Fuel Cut Defender, allows the 22PSI ECU limit to be "cheated". It will not create boost, it just prevents the ECU from activating the waste gate at 22PSI. They (two are req'd) will work for you, but you don't need them until you start producing over 22PSI.

Any changes to the boost control devices should be followed ASAP with a new ECU map --- a tune.