Member Garages Mapping Feature Up and Working

Discussion in 'Announcements, How do I, Feedback' started by Sully, Mar 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    One of the features I think is pretty darn cool is the "location" feature. I've updated member garages so that for any garage that has been updated since the migration and a location was entered, it will show up on a map.

A few items to note:
    1) The text says you have to put in a real address. If you don't want to do that, you can just put in a city, state, zip.
    2) If you click on the "Pin" you can see the garage - pretty cool once its been updated by a bunch of folks to see the general area for where other members are.. and who is around you.
    3) I will also be incorporating this into the classifieds - so you can also see where the part is located.
    4) As people update their garages, you will also be able to use the "refine by" section to filter by model, color etc..

Here is the link: https://www.motoringalliance.com/showcase/category/garages.3/

GarageMap.JPG

Give it a shot and let me know your thoughts.

2. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    OKAY...I have a Silk Green R50 and a Royal Grey metallic R53. Both are Gen 1 and were on the old M/A page before the crossover. How do I get them onto our "new" home? I also have a Gen 1 Pepper White R53 that has never been posted.

3. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Here are the garages I see that you have:
    The S: https://www.motoringalliance.com/showcase/the-s.1506/
    The Welsh: https://www.motoringalliance.com/showcase/the-welsh-mini.1505/
    Kika Car (No pictures): https://www.motoringalliance.com/showcase/kika-car.2660/

Are there other ones you should have that are not posted? I found these by looking at your profile.

F55290D5-1505-4007-8412-C1F5824D7FE3.jpeg

I clicked on the “showcase” tab and found them. Note - the name “showcase” is the addon I used to bring the garages over. That same addon will be used for the Market (I.e. classifieds and Sponsor listings). Once I get that code finished the “showcase” name will go away. If you go in and edit your garages and fill out the fields you will be able to filter on like cars, similar colors etc. For the “Location” if you don’t want to put in your exact address, just use city, state zip. I think it will actually work with just zip code but not 100% on that one. At that point your garage will also show up on the map.. :)

What’s also new for the garages is the “garage blog” - you can use that field as an automotive blog or car build thread.

As you work through it, please let me know what you like, don’t like or if you have any issues. Feedback is key for me making it better. :Thumbsup:

4. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    These are the only two I have I guess. Both cars have that tinted windshield sun "visor" that another M/A member was asking about. I'm not pic savvy and that's why I don't have more pics [these were posted by a friend]. This is also why my wife's car is not shown.

5. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    No problem. On the old site it was a bit challenging. On this site its easier but not perfect. I want to make it as easy as possible to post them to the site (compared to linking them) There are two “How do I” articles on posting pictures. Have you seen them?
    Here is the link: https://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/how-do-i.563/

Also, if you want you can send me the pictures and I can post them. Happy to do that also. I can respond to @tsmetjen with a link to your garages so he can see what it looks like if you like. :)

6. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Alright - a few people updated their garages today.. map has a few more "Pins" in it. :D

7. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Today - I made some changes to garages. Specifically:
    1) I updated the fields that you use when setting up your garage. For example, Model, Color, etc.
    2) Added some descriptors to the fields.
    Try it out and let me know if you want to see any changes.

8. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Just updated my garage. Went smooth.
    My 2 cents on the mapping, not sure I want my home address available to everyone. I feel better about having control over who knows where I buried my millions.
    :Bag:

9. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Completely agree.. I have not been able to figure out a consistent way to change that description. You can literally put in a zip code of just a city and it will work. To me that is way better as that way you can see who is “in the area” verse exact address.

I think you can actually just put in a state.. but haven’t tried that yet.

10. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Making Progress... :)
    garages.JPG

11. Sully

Sully Administrator