Suspension Brakes 1st Gen Max front camber on cross coilovers?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by istara, Jul 17, 2009.

1. istara

istara New Member

May 21, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My subframe is still out and I know I'll need an alignment once it's in, but my curiosity is getting the better of me as I wait for parts. For anyone else who is running these camber plates, have you ever had the max camber setting measured?

I read something along the lines of -3.5 for R56s, and I'm assuming it's similar on the r53, but didn't stumble upon any definite information. Any insight would be great.

2. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    On the R53 you need to cut the strut towers to go above -2, but they should be able to get at least -3 after that if not more

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    By "Cut the strut towers" do you mean they need to be slotted to allow for movement or something else? Did you do this the MINI in the family? Have any pics?

4. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Yes I should have said they need to be trimmed instead. We didn't do this, but I know someone that has a template and saw to make it happen. We're not sure if we want to get this committed yet:

imagejpeg_2.jpg

5. istara

istara New Member

May 21, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Mine are cut. I guess it just doesn't look like as much negative camber as I thought it would at the extreme. I'll be curious to get the actual measurements.

6. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    guess it depends on the coilover. I had -2.3 and didn't have them cut but adjusting them meant unbolting the top and dropping them out to get at the bolts. Not the best solution but resale was important to me.

for '05+ cars, you'll also need to flatten the reinforcing rib in the wheel well on the driver's side to get more than -2.

7. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, you loaned to a guy that lives here in the same town with us :Thumbsup:

8. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    Your camber will depend on how much you lower the car. So it's hard to say until you put it back together.