MINI’s Secret City Car Project

Discussion in 'MINI News and Articles' started by Nathan, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    UK magazine Autocar is reporting that MINI has internally kicked off a city car program aimed at boosting sales by adding more affordable models. It’s a curious report in that we know that MINI has been working on the program for well over a year now based on previous reports. However that aside this new [...] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More...

2. Wikedmini

Wikedmini MINI of the Month - December 2009

Aug 17, 2009
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    no thank u.

My MINI is my City car

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Why would BMW want to make a car that looks like a copy of the Fiat 500?:mad2::nonod::eek:ut:

4. bee1000

bee1000 New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Marketing
    San Diego, California
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    404 - Not Found. You're jumping the gun on Motoring File articles!

I don't know that I'd go for a "city car" if that means underpowered like a Smart, but I'm all for a less expensive Mini.

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    MotoringFile supplies the articles via an automated feed. If they put it up and then subsequently take it down the 404 error is displayed.

The news came from AutoCar

MINI City Car To Share Platform With BMW Megacity?

By David Parsons
    June 1st, 2010

MINI is studying an affordable city car as part of an effort aimed at boosting sales by adding new models at the lower end of its line-up.

Described as a Smart Fortwo rival, the new model is rumored to share a platform with parent company BMW’s Megacity project. It will use mostly conventional technology and modular components employed elsewhere in the German automaker’s model mix to keep development costs down and ensure profitability.

MINI has long argued that cars smaller than its popular three-door lacked the profitability to be sustainable in the longer term. But with BMW now committed to a three-cylinder engine and its officials investing in new production techniques, MINI thinks it can now build a solid business case for an ultra-frugal city car.

According to an inside source with knowledge of the project, the project has not been greenlighted yet, but looks promising. A concept car may be shown within the next year.

MINI is not divulging any clues about whether its city car will be a two or four-seater, or whether the engine will be at the front or rear.

Autocar has been told that MINI officials are seeking to ensure it stretches to no longer than the length of the original Issigonis-engineered MINI. That would make it shorter than the modern-day version but slightly longer than today’s Smart.

Proposals for the new MINI are being developed primarily in Munich, although BMW’s design thinktank DesignWorks in Los Angeles is also contributing ideas to the project, which one official referred to by the name ‘Minor’.

MINI’s renewed interest in city cars follows Smart’s recent announcement that it plans to develop the next Fortwo with Renault, which is expected to sell its own styled version in 2014.

6. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    If BMW wants a small smart-like two seated city car, they should just brand it as the new Isetta. Seems like a perfect reason to revisit one of their old designs.

With that said, if they make a car that's as small as the originals and it still looks as good as the original or current MINI's. I'd have a hard time not buying one.

[​IMG]