MINI Burns after wreck with Bike

Discussion in 'Weird MINI News' started by Nathan, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

A motorcycle accident halted all traffic Thursday on Highway 74 south of Palm Desert as rescue crews worked to help the people involved in the crash and clear the scene.

California Highway Patrol says the roadway was shut down in both directions, about five miles south of the Bighorn golf club, after a motorcycle and at least two cars crashed in the area. That closure was lifted by 12:15 p.m., about two hours after the crash occurred, according to CHP.

A KPSP Local 2 crew was driving by moments after the crash happened, and spoke with one of the people involved who told him that a motorcyclist sideswiped her car-- perhaps while trying to pass-- and bounced off into another two cars.

That's when that motorcycle and a third car, a mini cooper, both burst into flames, according to the witness. Both the car and motorcycle were completely destroyed.

We're told that the cars were driving north, or down the hill into the Palm Desert area, while the motorcyclist was heading south, or up the hill.

Our crew spotted at least one person being loaded into an ambulance following the crash. An air ambulance was also requested to the scene, according to Jody Hagemann of the Riverside County Fire Department.

Paramedics on scene told KPSP Local 2 that the motorcyclist had major fractures throughout the lower half of their body. The female driver of the mini cooper was treated on the scene, but it appeared she was okay, though shook up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Source - Palm Desert News | Your source for local news
    Photos - Gary Davis

2. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    :( Bad week for MINI's...

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I used to know the road this happened on very well. Back when my 85 GTI was still considered a new car and I was living in Palm Springs this bit of road from the bottom of the hill to the scenic overlook was a source of great entertainment to those of us with sporty cars and bikes. More than once the rent money was earned on that bit of tarmac.

4. CheckersSD

CheckersSD New Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Full time student @ UCSD majoring in PoliSci, and
    San Diego, CA
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Damn the MINI is cooked.

5. moreorless

moreorless New Member

Aug 17, 2009
    In a pile of sawdust.
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    From the position of the bike you gotta wonder if that fire was fed by gas from the bikes tank.

As an old biker I hate to see those sorts of pictures.

...Les

6. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Exactly what I was thinking.....bike caught fire and got the MINI going.

Hate to see this happen.