1st Gen R53 Cooper S Mini Disaster

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by kickapoo, Jul 9, 2016.

1. kickapoo

kickapoo New Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #1 kickapoo, Jul 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    /Users/karensiemers/Desktop/IMG_0359.jpg

I recently drove my 2006 CooperS across country with my 10 year old. Beautiful trip. My Mini, as always performed exceptionally.
    About 50 miles from my destination in San Diego, I encountered a Border Patrol check point on the Interstate. Leaving the checkpoint, I failed to notice the temporary, unmarked, hard rubber speed bump that was laid down.
    I hit the speed bump doing about 35-40 miles an hour and the result was immediate. My Mini barely made it to San Diego.
    I was told that my crank belt pulley and serpentine belt had collapsed and 2 power steering hoses failed and that I had cracked a water pump.
    My insurance company claims that none of these things are related to hitting an object that is designed to disable vehicles that travel over it too fast.
    Does this make sense? My beloved Mini was working just fine for over 2000 miles before I hit the speed bump. After a bone jarring curb jump at 40mph it was not.
    Any opinions on wether or not an extremely hard impact could cause these parts to fail simultaniously?
    Thanks.

2. Guapish_Fliver

Guapish_Fliver New Member

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #2 Guapish_Fliver, Jul 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
    My opinion is that a hard enough impact can cause anything to fail lol. Dayum, did you at least catch some air?

Sound like you may have gotten off pretty easy... Shock towers? Rims? Suspension? Oil pan? Alignment? No flats? Whoa..

I've broken cam chain guides and crashed valves hitting things hard on dirt bikes. My point being, you can break things you've never dreamed of if you hit something hard enough

Regarding the insurance company, assuming they would cover something that was intentionally put in the road that you failed to notice, you can get an estimate from the shop of your choice stating that the problems were indeed a result of your "momentary lapse".

Attached Files:

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Yes all those things could break from hitting that at 40 mph in a 10 year old MINI. Time to open up the wallet and pay out of pocket to get your car fixed.

Your next stop should be an eye doctor.

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Sorry that happened, nothing like a fun trip being ruined! If you could take it to a shop that works on MINI's and get them to put something in writing that that could have caused the problem that would help in the fight with the insurance company. I do believe this was caused by the hard hit. I would hold the insurance company's feet to the fire and insist it be fixed.

Good luck. Also Welcome to MA!

5. kickapoo

kickapoo New Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Aw...Dave O... What a sweetheart. Thanks for the love. You are absolutely right, Despite the fact that the setting sun over the Pacific radiated and reflecting a blinding glare in a monochromatic mountain pass, I should have been able to see an unmarked object that you don't normally encounter on an interstate.

If the ladies are making fun of your glaringly obvious shortcomings, or the fact that you are from Filthadelpia, or the suburbs, don't worry, you always have the "mistress".
    She will love you even if you never grow up or act like a big baby.

Electric Blue 2006 CooperS
    White rims, white top, skunk stripe that goes to the tailpipe,
    roach in the ashtray, golf clubs in the hatch, a sticker for the band the Replacements on the back bumper and a little bit of raccoon fur still stuck in the front grill.

6. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    kickapoo....
    By the way... Welcome to M/A...
    Don't be offended... Some people here take a little time getting used to...
    It's all harmless...

I too believe the speed bump impact caused your problems...
    Get a MINI mechanic to give you a written opinion on the "accident" and then if in agreement, re-submit the claim back to the insurance company...
    The mechanic will be the "expert "in the cause and effect", not the agent.

Anyway, that's my $.02.....

7. Guapish_Fliver

Guapish_Fliver New Member

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Baaaha! You want some french cries with that?

How bout you guys kiss and make up. Then we can all hold hands after and sing kumbaya. K? After that, we can all slap each other on the back and croon about our cars...

Hey, if the insurance company won't cover it those are cheap n easy repairs....

8. kickapoo

kickapoo New Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the support and advice. Sorry, Dave.0, for the cross court volley to your backhand, probably was uncalled for. I am quite sure that you are a lady killer...especially when you are rolling in the "Mistress"
    But, as for Philly... I have to say that if I owned Hell and Philadelphia, I would live in Hell and put Philadelphia up for rent on Craigslist.

9. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    kickapo do you do your own work? if you do I would just get the parts and fix it, but if you have to pay to have it done I would have the insurance fix it. This would be a good time for a; 15% pulley, ATI crank crank pulley, new belt tensioner and Idler pulley.

Yes I am good at spending your money.

10. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,977 / 6 / -5

11. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    If you have full coverage on your car, I call BS on the insurance company. You ran over an object on the road that you didn't see. The reason you've been paying all of those insurance premiums is so they will fix your car after an accident. And yes, it was an "accident." Surely you didn't look at your kid and say, "Let's see how fast we can hit this speedbump."

Check your policy, and if you paid for collision coverage, they need to cover this, IMO.

CD

12. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    Ultimately you'll need to have a claims adjuster look at the car, and he would need to be convinced that the damage was caused by an impact. What did the shop think about it?

13. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    I'm 55-years old, I've had my houses and cars with one insurance company for at least 25 years. I could get a better deal, but not enough better to make up for the leverage I have. I have only had a couple of claims, but one was for $16K. They treated me like royalty.

My advice to anyone who will listen is to establish relationships in the world of business. That includes home and auto insurance companies -- health insurance companies are vampires, from my experience. F--k them because they will f--k you any chance they get.

But, like I said before, if you paid for coverage, the insurance company needs to hold up their end of the deal. I disagree (at my own peril) with Dave0 on this, it doesn't matter if you were to blame, if you paid for coverage, you paid for coverage. Period.

CD