MINI Parts upgrades THINK

Discussion in 'MINI' started by Nitrominis, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    MINI Parts upgrades THINK

Always do a thorough check and evaluate the condition of your MINI prior to any modification. It might be common sense but unfortunately it is not always the case when adding new upgrades to your MINI.

This means if you do not know the mechanical condition or current state of engine operation don’t assume anything. Check everything. All too often lately many have been doing performance upgrades only to have issues and assume that it is the new parts installed.
    ANY engine upgrade that will improve the level of performance like horse power or torque will also exponentially increase an already existing engine problem.
    This means that not only have you created bigger problems but you have made it much more difficult to trace the original source of the problem.

Examples:

1) MINI owner changes Head (only) on existing upgraded ECU tune. MINI now runs really bad. Gets a new or upgraded ECU tune. MINI runs better but still less than expected. First conclusion of the low expected performance must be the new parts? But after diagnosing the concerns MINI owner had not had a tune up of spark plugs and wire for years. The stock transformer (coil pack) had corrosion on the terminals reducing the effective current output to the spark plugs, and a cylinder with more than 10% difference from the other 3. So worn out engine and bad pre-existing parts.

2) Mini owner changes to larger anti roll (sway bar) bars and now hears clunking. Must be the new part? What was not examined before the install were the control bushing with almost 100K on them and were already completely worn out. Adding the larger sway bar augmented the already bad suspension condition.

3) Mini owner gets a performance ECU tune and larger injectors installed only. A few weeks later the engine is now running rough and will not idle and has really poor gas mileage and lower than normal power. Must be the ECU tune and the larger injectors? The diagnostic later after the ECU tuner tried several attempts to correct the problem showed the MINI had a worn out engine with low and varying compression between cylinders along with a less than allowable leak down test, old spark plugs and wires, and a dirty air cleaner!!!

This example list could be added by me or other shop/mechanic’s, ECU tuners..etc. all day long!

Consider everything needed for any upgrade and also how one upgrade will effect all the other parts already on your MINI before you install them. Check carefully every new part by fully examining them prior to the installation. And don’t cut corners to make things easier for the install.

There are more than enough qualified people i.e. Vendors, Shops, ECU tuners, manufactures etc. that are here on Motoring Alliance willing to help you in the decisions of upgrades and to suggest additional parts that might be needed or servicing with your new upgraded parts BEFORE you install them.

Careful consideration and planning of your upgrades can save you disappointment and most of all money.

2. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Great thread idea:Thumbsup:

Mark

3. RonsMinnie

RonsMinnie New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 28, 2009
    Sugar Land, TX
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Good Library article -- Every MINIac should read before they mod ---

4. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Man...

you mean I can't just add one more shiney part and expect to have an F1 car? Damn....

Matt

5. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    I'm installing a second grill badge holder on the Clubbie today, anything I should watch out for. Goes on the license plate holder, so no air flow issues. Should I do a butt dyno before and after?

Mark

6. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    :lol::lol::lol: U :devil:

7. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0

The safety aspect always concerns me. The MINI in my lead wondering if the owner did the brakes and if so was the proper procedures followed? A thought crosses my mind about those nice adjustable struts thinking is the suspension set up for the car/driver or too quick/firm now for the drivers positioning ability?

A justified concern, after all that Mini is in front of me!

I saw a resent commercial where an individual shopping for a cell phone asking a flood of questions to the sales representative. And then in the next scene that same person in the doctor’s office being examined asking nothing? So often many choose and install parts for their MINI much the same way as getting an examination from a Physician.

8. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Bad idea. I think you have to bend the spark plug wires or something if you have more than one grill badge holder. And you really shouldn't install that unless you're planning on a tune at the same time anyway. Plus, those grill badge holders can really throw the alignment off; most people would add powerflex bushing to the front sway bar and get the car corner balanced after such a dramatic mod....

9. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Bushings and an alignment were just done. So what your saying is I should have installed the badge holder, then done bushings/alignment:mad2:

Mark

10. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    YOU DID THE ALIGNMENT FIRST?!?!?!

I'd cut my losses, sell the car, and start over from scratch. I'm pretty sure you've not only voided your warranty, but doing things in that order has caused several uprisings in third world countries.

And Lynn, just because I don't take Lotsie seriously, it doesn't mean I don't take you or this thread seriously...:Thumbsup:

But if I quit hijacking threads, then what purpose do I serve in the MINI community?

11. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    All good points Lynn. Too many times in the heat of getting that new speed part installed, it's easy to forget about all the other variables that have an impact on the success of the final outcome. Thanks for the reminder.:D

12. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    I think our banter just shows what can happen when mods(albeit the more performance ones:lol:) get talked about on forums. Someone can say they did X to their car, and it worked great. Then someone else does X mod, but don't have mod YZ installed, and it works like crap.

Mark

13. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    This thread makes some very good points. I have posted several times that I love my Sprint Booster, but I always add that I have the torque arm bushing too, because it came first and then led me to notice the need for the SB. Of course asking Way a bunch of questions, that he very helpfully answered, was another part of the mods.

Jim

14. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Always best to ask questions, then to just forge ahead to figure out the right answer.

I do however forge ahead to figure things out at work, but this is things I can predict the outcome. MINI mods is not one of those things that I have decades of time doing.

Mark

15. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Many are now beginning to mod or add new Performance parts to MINIs that have a substantial amount of miles on them.

A good idea before attempting any Performance engine modification is to first ascertain the condition of the engine. The least should be to do a simple compression test of the engine.

This way you will have a base line in the unfortunate event of problem(s) after your upgrades.

****************************************************************************************************

16. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
  17. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    #17 lotsie, Aug 8, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
    +2:Thumbsup:

I have thought long and hard about doing performance vs. longevity "Mods" to my 03 justa, which is pushing 110K miles, (that's 175+K kilometers for the Canucks:D).

The history of Poco;

First 90K miles (3 years), mostly commuting 100 miles a day on flat straight prairie 2 lane highway. Winters last 5 months, with temps down into the -40's (-40 is -40 in both C and F) He drove through major snowstorms, gale force wind conditions, summer temps in the 100F range, and never missed a beat. Well he did get a new Midlands at about 35K, it was about -45 and an axle seal had frozen, dumped the tranny fluid, so the dealer put in a new tranny(not a rebuild) other than that no major issues.

Since moving to Missouri 4 years ago, his annual mileage has dropped significantly to less than 10K a year, but with more twisties/hills. But no real(for him and me) winter conditions.

He is on his 3rd set of tires, 2nd set of brakes, (remember back on the prairie I stopped less in my daily commute than I do now to get to Lowes 2 miles away), just changed first set of front bushings, 2rd serp belt. Oil changes every 5000 except the first one, at 2500.

He now has a Way/DDM intake, a Megan exhaust (OEM rusted out a 95K) engine damper from Way. Besides the fact he is a justa with a Midlands in him I'm leary of doing much else to him, except some minor suspension work. My goal with him is to keep him going for as long as possible, with as low a $$$ per mile as possible. At the mileage rate he is going now, he will almost be able to be registered as a classic when he hits 200K:lol:

He still feels strong, the S owners have to work hard to keep up in the real tight twisties on club runs, and he looks better than at lot of new MINIs, paint wise.

Just how I look at it:beer

Mark

P.S. His break in consisted of varying speed and RPM, but hitting bounce on a daily basis:smilewinkgrin:

18. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Yeah Mark, and the best part is the clutch still works!:Thumbsup:

19. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    If you have an experienced Auto Technician with both general and performance applications on MINI specific go to them and have a complete mechanical and operational condition evaluation done. Most shops that do this type of request charge around 100-200. Money well spent. Don't be surprised leaving with a complete list of parts needing immediate attention. This evaluation will also allow you to adjust what you must do and would like to according your bank account? :D

20. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, well the Clubbie is a whole other story:rolleyes5:

I wish we had one of those here in STL. That said, our dealer does take very good care of us. Club members get 15% off labor, and either 20% off, or 20% over dealer cost(whichever is less) on parts. We always get a loaner, and there is something to be said about getting a warranty on the work they do. We do get work done by Way when he comes to town.

Mark