Mini News MINI presents the new John Cooper Works models.

Discussion in 'MINI News and Articles' started by Nathan, May 17, 2012.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Innovations designed to provide extreme driving fun and even greater efficiency. MINI presents the new John Cooper Works models.

[​IMG]

Munich. In keeping with the times, MINI will inject the ultra-sporty performance characteristics of its John Cooper Works models with even greater efficiency from July 2012 with the introduction of a new-generation engine and other far-reaching powertrain innovations. Fresh from an intensive course of further development, the twin-scroll turbo engine develops the same levels of output and torque as its predecessor, but will make drivers’ hearts beat faster with its even quicker responses and stoke their admiration with substantially reduced fuel consumption and emissions. A much broader spread of MINIMALISM technology helps to enhance the efficiency of the John Cooper Works models, and all members of the sub-brand’s line-up can now be fitted as an option with a six-speed automatic gearbox. Added to which, the MINI John Cooper Works Countryman comes with the MINI ALL4 all-wheel-drive system as standard.

[​IMG]

New-generation engine for the John Cooper Works models offers instantaneous power delivery and a restrained appetite for fuel.

An outstanding baseline concept and a constant flow of innovations provide the basis for sustained success in race competition and beyond. Indeed, a rigorously applied strategy of further development has also given the road-spec John Cooper Works models a decisive edge in their respective segments. Expertise refined over years of motor sport involvement has ensured ultra-sporty driving fun by perfecting the interplay of a powerful engine, advanced chassis technology, and bespoke exterior and interior design elements. And so the John Cooper Works models are poised to embark on the new season stronger than ever and with fresh power under the bonnet.

The family of elite athletes in the MINI ranks welcomes another new member in the shape of the MINI John Cooper Works Countryman. The five-door model is fitted with a particularly powerful variant of the new-generation engine. Its 160 kW/218 hp is channelled through an all-wheel-drive system to deliver a new take on outstanding performance that can be enjoyed not only on the road but also over rough terrain. Peak torque of 280 Newton metres (207 lb-ft) is available between 1,900 and 5,600 rpm, and the MINI John Cooper Works Countryman dashes from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in just 7.0 seconds – regardless of whether the power flows through the standard six-speed manual gearbox or the optional six-speed automatic. Top speed is 225 km/h / 140 mph (automatic: 223 km/h / 139 mph). Equally impressive is average fuel consumption in the EU test cycle of 7.4 litres per 100 kilometres / 38.2 mpg (automatic: 7.9 l/100 km / 35.8 mpg) and CO2emissions of 172 grams (184 g) per kilometre.

The new-generation engine can also be found in the MINI John Cooper Works, MINI John Cooper Works Clubman, MINI John Cooper Works Convertible, MINI John Cooper Works Coupe and MINI John Cooper Works Roadster. The further developed powerplant is based on the unit in the MINI Cooper S and likewise uses a twin-scroll turbocharger, petrol direct injection and variable valve control based on the BMW Group’s VALVETRONIC system. This throttle-free load control technology optimises both the responsiveness of the engine and its efficiency; lightning-fast reactions to the driver’s requests for power go hand-in-hand with a restrained appetite for fuel.

The technical make-up of the 1.6-litre four-cylinder engine – which sports a John Cooper Works logo on its cover – has a direct link to the development of race-trim engines and has been honed exclusively for the John Cooper Works models. Its cylinder block and bearing mounts are made from aluminium and join forces with reinforced pistons, a particularly high-strength cylinder head and low-weight crankshafts. The exhaust valves are sodium-filled to help provide the extra cooling required by a turbocharged engine, and the intake camshaft features infinite phase adjustment.

The turbocharger, meanwhile, develops even greater charge pressure than the engine in the MINI Cooper S Coupe. The likewise bespoke exhaust system can be identified from the outside by its polished stainless steel twin tailpipes.

The engine produces its maximum output of 155 kW/211 hp at 6,000 rpm, while peak torque of 260 Newton metres (192 lb-ft) is on tap between 1,850 and 5,600 rpm. The overboost function allows this figure to be raised to 280 Newton metres (207 lb-ft) for a short time between 2,000 and 5,200 rpm.

The new engine links up as standard with a six-speed manual gearbox tuned to suit its performance characteristics. However, the John Cooper Works models can now also be ordered as an option with a six-speed automatic gearbox with Steptronic function. The automatic also allows the driver to change gear manually using either the selector lever or the shift paddles on the steering wheel.

[​IMG]

MINIMALISM technology delivers top performance and increased range.

In addition to the improvements made to the engine’s efficiency, the more extensive use of fuel consumption and emissions-reducing technology makes the John Cooper Works models more credible ambassadors than ever for the principle of MINIMALISM. Only rarely will the unparalleled driving fun need to be interrupted to refuel, thanks to technology such as Brake Energy Regeneration, which concentrates power generation for the in-vehicle network during periods under braking and on the overrun. Working in tandem with the manual gearbox, the Auto Start/Stop function switches the engine off automatically when the car stops at junctions and in traffic tailbacks, while the Shift Point Display advises the driver of the most efficiency-enhancing moment to change gear. The electric power steering also does its bit to reduce fuel consumption, its electric motor only using energy when power assistance is actually needed. This array of innovations has helped optimise the balance between driving fun and fuel consumption displayed by all the John Cooper Works models. Indeed, fuel consumption in the EU test cycle has been cut by up to 0.5 litres per 100 kilometres, depending on the model. The MINI John Cooper Works races from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 6.5 seconds (automatic: 6.7 sec) on the way to a top speed of 238 km/h / 148 mph (236 km/h / 147 mph). Average fuel consumption stands at 6.6 litres per 100 kilometres / 42.8 mpg (automatic: 7.1 l/100 km / 39.8 mpg) and CO2 emissions come in at 153 grams (165 g) per kilometre.

The MINI John Cooper Works Clubman also blends imposing acceleration – 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 6.8 seconds (automatic: 7.0 sec) – and a top speed of 238 km/h / 148 mph (236 km/h / 147 mph) with exemplary fuel economy of 6.7 litres per 100 kilometres / 42.2 mpg (automatic: 7.2 l/100 km / 39.2 mpg) and CO2 emissions of 155 grams (167 g) per kilometre. The MINI John Cooper Works Convertible sprints from rest to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 6.9 seconds (automatic: 7.1 sec) and reaches a top speed of 235 km/h / 146 mph (233 km/h / 145 mph). Yet its fuel consumption is just 6.8 litres per 100 kilometres / 41.5 mpg (automatic: 7.3 l/100 km / 38.7 mpg) and CO2 emissions are limited to 157 grams (169 g) per kilometre.

A 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) time of 6.4 seconds (automatic: 6.6 sec) makes the MINI John Cooper Works Coupe the fasting-accelerating of these elite athletes, and it also boasts a top speed of 240 km/h / 149 mph (238 km/h / 148 mph). This outstanding sporting potency belies average fuel consumption of 6.6 litres per 100 kilometres / 42.8 mpg (automatic: 7.1 l/100 km / 39.8 mpg) and CO2 emissions of 153 grams (165 g) per kilometre. The MINI John Cooper Works Roadster reaches 100 km/h (62 mph) from rest in 6.5 seconds (automatic: 6.7 sec) and continues on to a top speed of 237 km/h / 147 mph (235 km/h / 146 mph). Its average fuel consumption comes in at 6.8 litres per 100 kilometres / 41.5 mpg (automatic: 7.3 l/100 km / 38.7 mpg), with CO2 emissions recorded as 157 grams (169 g) per kilometre.

[​IMG]

Racing feeling and unmistakable style.
    All John Cooper Works models combine their stand-out sporting potential with unmistakable looks and special equipment features which accentuate the feeling of race competition both inside the car and out. Standard specification includes the Sport Button (which allows the driver to tweak the car’s accelerator responses and steering characteristics), particularly powerful brakes, the DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) system including DTC (Dynamic Traction Control) and EDLC (Electronic Differential Lock Control) for the driven axle, plus bespoke 17-inch light-alloy wheels (MINI John Cooper Works Countryman: 18-inch) and runflat tyres. The likewise standard John Cooper Works aerodynamic kit optimises both the airflow over and around the cars, and their visual impact. Exclusive paint finishes and roof colours, plus an ultra-sporty interior ambience with special seat upholstery variants and interior trim elements, add further bespoke touches. Customers can now order Striped Alloy and Pepper White interior trim elements, for example. And the standard-fitted sports steering wheel now features a John Cooper Works logo in the lower section of the centre spoke.

The John Cooper name has embodied the successful relationship between the British small car and sporting competition for several decades. It was back in the 1960s that the legendary sports car designer hit upon the idea of injecting a fresh dose of enjoyment into everyday road driving, and extra-potent variants of the classic MINI soon carried his name. Today, the MINI sub-brand John Cooper Works represents the epitome of race-track feeling and stand-out performance. The six elite athletes that make up the John Cooper Works range, along with options and accessories designed to enhance the agility of any MINI and lend all variants of the car a more defined sporting character, create a powerful advertisement for the brand’s motor sport genes.

[​IMG]

2. JackMac

JackMac Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    PA
    Ratings:
    +256 / 0 / -0
    RIP to the 6MT-only setup on a JCW.

3. WolfGTI

WolfGTI Active Member

May 21, 2009
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +217 / 0 / -0
    Increasing mass market appeal sucks.

4. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Shift display tells you when is most efficient to change gears? ...Really? My Mom's 1993 Chevy S-10 had this feature. Not only was it annoying it was also worthless.

The out-puts for the new engines seem promising but we all knew the fully valvetronic engines (N18) were going to be an improvement.

Start-stop and energy regen like a hybrid as well. Not sure how I feel about that. :skep:

One other thing: WHAT RACE DEVELOPMENT?! MINI doesn't compete with any of these chassis or that engine. :frown2:

In a nutshell: I hate press releases. They are some fantastic BS.

5. Forkboy

Forkboy New Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Oil field heavy hauler
    Grand Junction, Co
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I am glad that mini is expanding their market, but at the same time the cars might loose some of their "coolness" if mini tries to appeal to more of a mass market. Just my two cents worth. On the flip side I would love to have a John Cooper Works Countryman all-wheel drive just for the simple fact that living in Colorado we do get snow.... :Thumbsup:

6. rlw

rlw New Member

May 31, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Why so down on Auto trannies?

I have owned nothing but manual transmission cars (including 3 Taurus SHOs and a Mustang GT - woo hoo!!) since I started driving 42 years ago. But when it came time to buy a new car in 2008, I was looking for an automatic. The reason? In a word, traffic. I was living near Washington, DC and the traffic was so horrendous that I thought my left leg was gonna fall off.

I truly love having a stick, but it simply doesn't work in the constant stop and go traffic that most major cities have nowadays. And, frankly, I have learned to *love* those paddle shifters on my Clubman. They still offer me a semblance of shifting fun and allow me to keep both hands on the wheel at all times. A very nice setup, IMHO.

So, fellas, stop p!ssing and moaning about the new JCWs having an AT option - you can still have your MT if you like...

-RW-