MINI Reliability

Discussion in 'MINI' started by JRES, Dec 16, 2013.

1. JRES

JRES New Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My wife wants a Mini, we test drove them yesterday. My research indicates a care model with lots of major reliability problems. I like to keep cars for a long time with minimal dealer visits. I have owned Honda's, toyotas etc. for that reason. I really like the Mini myself. I know this might be a long recurring theme but any help appreciated.

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, thanks for joining Motoring Alliance, the FUN and Friendly MINI Community.

Which model did you test drive?

Please keep in mind that on a site such as this people don't pop in and say "my MINI was fine today".

A MINI is not like a Honda or Toyota, they are automotive appliances. For the most part a little regular maintenance and they keep running fine. MINIs are smaller BMW's, they require more regular maintenance and have their quirks. One is rewarded for putting up with some of carp a MINI tosses at you by the shear joy of driving them.

3. Norm03s

Norm03s New Member

May 5, 2009
    Working at being retired.
    Somewhere in Sykesville. Md.
    Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    Cold reality here, you are on a enthusiast web page. A MINI, and I suggest an R53 model, can do things that no Honda or Toyota are capable of doing, period. If it is cute you're wife is looking for that's okay. Give her some joy, you might discover the driver in her.

4. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    MINI's can be fussy. That was my nice way to say, if you drive a MINI, you will need to maintain it, go to the dealer when it has a fault or issue.

If you don't like to go to the dealer or don't want to do anything but change the oil, perhaps stay with another brand of car.

A number of folks who visit the MINI forums come to complain because they cannot find a sympathetic ear at the dealer. I have found the dealers do listen and do what they can in most cases.

Sometimes you get a bad service adviser, manager or dealership, that is universal in the car biz.

I think you might enjoy a MINi, but you need to decide if you want to give it a go.

Of course, I have two and plan for more in the future, just like kids.

Don

5. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Never really had a problem with my MINI.....
    There is probably nothing made that handles like a MINI.... It's a drivers car...
    Honda's and Toyota's have their place.... You won't die from boredom in a MINI.... You may in the H&T's...
    If you are thinking "new", then get the extended warranty (Some do, Some don't).... It will give you piece of mind.... Then never look back.....

6. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    I've owned 5 MINI's and I will own more. Great enthusiast car but like the others have said, if you want to drive an appliance, buy a Honda. P.ease come back and post pictures when you get home from the MINI dealership.

7. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    IT - Complex business systems in the cloud
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    Let's put it this way, they are a lot more reliable than the old British cars of the 60's-90's.

They are also built and stressed to much tighter tolerances to max out on performance, economy, and fun-to-driveness. The things that make driving interesting as opposed to get from point a to b. This is at the sacrifice of a bit of some reliability and need (or lack thereof) for routine maintenance.

Toyota's and Honda's don't break as much because you will NEVER drive a corolla or civic anything like you will be tempted to drive a MINI. :wink:

8. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I bought one and then my wife got one. Mine is six and no problems yet, which includes three trips to the Dragon. "Reliability", is a word that can mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people.

9. signcarver

signcarver New Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Had my first one for 5 years, 36k miles - only problems were 2 recalls (water pump and timing chain tensioner)

10. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    I have had 5 of the 2nd Gen variations with little to no problems. My wife has a JCW Roadster and I have a GP. She had a convertible and I had a Clubman, no issues with them. My father in law has a Paceman and no issues with it. We all really like, no love our Minis

11. Scotty

Scotty New Member

Mar 9, 2013
    German/Swedish/Finnish marine propulsion equipment
    New Orleans
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    I had the same reservations as I had researched and read up on all of them for a year. I finally took the plunge and am glad I did. I own a 2012 MINI Cooper S. 1.5 years old and 13,000 miles later I can say that I went to the dealership twice for electrical faults (faulty fuel pressure reading and faulty cooling fan signal). Hands down, I don't mind at all. The car is that cool. The masses that fall in love with them are a funny group, too. I read someone up there that the R53 is the one to get. I just smile whenever I read that and imagine that one must be friggin out of this world, because my R56 is AWESOME!
    Best of luck...follow your heart.

12. hanyssa

hanyssa New Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    I ordered a 2012 convertible s and have been driving it for 1.5 yrs. I tuck it away in the garage for the lovely Ohio winter. I missed driving it so much I went out and bought a 2010 clubman s as my "winter mini!"

13. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Like has been mentioned, this is an enthusiast site, not exactly the place to get objective reliability data, which is not the MINI's, nor BMW's for that matter, strong suit. The MINI is hands down my favorite car I've ever owned, but it's my toy, not my daily driver.

So define your priorities. If reliability is number one both short and long term, a Honda isn't a bad way to go--they're fantastic cars that'll run forever. A Honda is a 200,000 mile plus car; MINI simply isn't. If driving experience and community is the highest priority, MINI wins easily. If you're willing to put up with the niggles here and there, and don't have your heart set on a daily driver that will get you ten plus years, get the MINI. Otherwise get the Honda.

It seems these inquiries come up here and elsewhere periodically to reassure buyers that they're buying a problem free car, when the reality is all you'll hear, here and on other sites, is want you want to hear--objectivity lies elsewhere. It's the nature of the beast, many won't post negative things on an enthusiast site for fear of being pile driven right in the old chum bucket.

14. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    When some friends ask what to buy the expect me to say MINI. But to some of the them a car is an appliance and a MINI just doesn't fit the bill.