MINI Swansong for the R53 in Motorsports

Discussion in 'Racing MINIs' started by Nathan, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

This is the last year the R53 MINI will be representing in noncompetitive Motor Sport. The RSR Motorsport MINIs will not eligible for Grand Am in 2013 and there are no plans for RSR to develop the R56, mostly due to lack of support from MINI US.

Chris Know, who was part of the RSR team at Daytona this year has an interesting idea. With 2 races left, Lime Rock and Laguna Seca he is doing a bit of fund raising to team up with Randy Smalley for the last two races.

The entire story can be found here.

Instead of one big corporate sponsor, the guys want loads of smaller businesses, dealerships, MINI owners and race fans to club together – and they could WIN a stack of goodies.

Motoring Alliance supports this idea and has made a £100 (~160 USD) donation. I encourage each of you to follow suit at a level you are confortable with to help fund the drives.

Please visit MINI Swansong 2012 by Chris Knox - GoFundMe to contribute.

In addition, Motoring Alliance will donate $5 from each new or renewing Premium Membership for the month of August.

2. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Did my best......hope it pays off.

3. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Okay, so I read this and the "give me money" website description and I still don't understand the intended use for the money. I get that they are giving away prizes in exchange but are we helping fund a new season or just padding thier pocket-book as a "Thank You" for running with MINI for so long?

4. Pooper

Pooper Club Coordinator

Oct 15, 2009
    Retired
    Shasta, CA
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Chris Knox is a well known and well established young driver in the UK. Amoung other sucessful racing in other series, he was the 2011 British JCW Mini Challenge Series Champion and drove for the RSR Motorsports team in 2012 at Daytona. He was very quick with very little time in the car. He is trying to help RSR Motorsports and the R53 MINI "go out in style" as these will be the last two races for the famed R53 in Grand AM. The money will go to help offset the cost of his travel and expenses along with the "ride" costs. A British/American Driving team combination with a successful showing will bring international attention to the series, RSR Motorsports, and a well deserved farwell to the R53 MINI. As of now there are no plans for any teams to campaign any of the newer MINI models in the US in any major series. Perhaps a sucessful finish and a great showing of support will get the juices flowing for those that can continue to "carry the torch" for MINI.

There are thousands of dollars of prizes that will be given out to some of the lucky supporters. So some of those that do contribute will enjoy the benefits.

At this time RSR Motorsports is the only team campaigning the MINI in any national series, although the B-Spec Mini will be running.

RSR Motorsports has kept the R53 Mini not only in competition but in the chase for championships against much better backed teams with much newer equipment.

There is no demand to contribute, just a request, to help a fellow MINI enthusiasts fulfill a dream and bring a smile to many that have enjoyed the challenges and successes of the R53 MINI. If anyone can donate $10 or more and enough of them do, Chris Knox promises to give his best effort to make you all proud.

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for adding additional explanation Norm. I've written Chris Knox and have invited him to join M/A to answer questions as well.

6. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
  7. Pooper

Pooper Club Coordinator

Oct 15, 2009
    Retired
    Shasta, CA
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    No decision has been finalized. If you are interested in RSR Motorsports continuing racing MINIs then come out to Lime Rock Park and see if you can help pursuade MINI USA and RSR Motorsports to work it out.

8. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Is that truly a possibility? If so, that's great but the last conversation I had with Randy he was 100% on board with Honda next year.

9. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Love to see MINIs running, but think it is a done deal with the Hondas.

10. sdmidget

sdmidget New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Senior Planner
    Lancaster, PA
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Don't ask me ... I know nothing!

[​IMG]

11. Pooper

Pooper Club Coordinator

Oct 15, 2009
    Retired
    Shasta, CA
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    I think the door is still open for MINIs, just needs some encouragement!

12. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Yea....from MINIUSA and MINI HQ which will never happen unfortunately.